Pregnancy Expert Forum
Enlarged Yolk Sac

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Enlarged Yolk Sac

I went in at 6w for an ultrasound. Measured 5w2d with a gest. sac and a tiny yolk sac. Went back at 6w6d. Found baby and heartbeat. Baby measured 6w. Found an enlarged yolk sac at 8mm and baby's hb was 118 (barely on slow side, from what I was told). I also have a very small subchorionic hemorrhage.

Everything I have read shows a very poor prognosis for my baby. Is there any real possibility that my baby will be ok. I go in for a follow up scan next week. I am just looking for a real explanation about what this means and if it is possible that a healthy baby can come from such circumstances.

Thank you!
Thank you for the reply. I am 32 and have 3 beautiful healthy children already. This is supposed to be my last. This has been quite the roller-coaster week worrying about this little one. My ob gave me a 50/50 shot and said it could go either way. I get the impression it isn't something that most OB's see and deal with a lot. I appreciate the encouragement and hope that Tuesday will bring me some good news!

Thank you again!
Not sure if you revisit any of these questions but I wanted to say that I had a follow up scan yesterday. Baby is measuring 7w1d with good growth and a good fetal hr at 136. However, the yolk sac grew from 8mm to 13mm. So, I am waiting for yet another week to see if this little one will hold on. Not sure if I should be encouraged or discouraged by the scan.
Went in today for a follow up scan. I post this info really to be of help to other seeking information on an enlarged yolk sac since there isn't a lot out there.

The ultrasound showed no fetal heartbeat and based on the measurement of the baby, development stopped about 5 days ago. I would be 9 wks today.

I have found cases of enlarged yolk sacs leading to healthy babies but the fact is that the majority of them do not. To anyone who has one, I am sorry. I know that the waiting and the wondering is very hard. The only advice I have to offer is to hope for the best but prepare yourself for the worst because more than likely, the enlarged yolk sac is a sign of a problem.

Thank you Dr. Downing for responding to my question earlier. This is a great resource for patients looking for answers.
hello.  Having just had my first ob appt, it was discovered that i too have an enlarged yolk sac, measuring about 8mm.  My baby is 6 weeks.  Heartbeat was strong and measured at 138.  I have an appt scheduled for next week....to see how the baby is doing.... I've increased my supplements -

am on empty stomach - Jarrow probiotic acidopholis
am - folic acid
mid am - noni juice
noon - Carlson "super" fish oil
mid noon - noni juice
dinner - prenatal vitamins
pm - wheat grass supplements

The "waiting" is most difficult.  Not sure if i should continue "walking" for exercise...was trying to walk about 3-6 miles a day....

I appreciated finding your post.
As folllow-up to the previous post, I went in yesterday (one week later) for a follow-up exam.  There was no heartbeat.  As of yesterday, I was 7wks5days....baby measured 7wks2days...yolk sac had decreased to 7.6mm.  i am 37.