Pregnancy Expert Forum
Fetal Movement

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Fetal Movement

Hello doctor,

I'm 20 weeks pregnant as of today and i was wondering about my baby's movements. Everywhere it says I should be able to feel some kind off movements in this week and every where the movement has been described as ''fluttering butterflies/growling stomach''! How would i differentiate between a regular growling stomach(like when u r hungry) and the movements? I'm really confused. I have been feeling some growling or weird feeling in my stomach(like when there's gas pain) but i don't know how to pinpoint the actual movements!

Regards.

One thing to do is to make sure your pregnancy dating is accurate.  Your dates can be confirmed by ultrasound if your last menstrual period is uncertain.  If you are earlier than you think that may be a reason why you don't feel much movement.  An anterior placenta might make fetal movements more difficult to discern early in pregnancy.  That said, when they come, you will know.

Best of luck,

Dr. Downing
Hun im 36 weeks pregnant and this is my second child.  You'll know when your baby is moving it will be more then just gas pains.  When your baby moves inside of you it feels like the baby is rearranging everything inside you.  Your stomach will jiggle too.  If you have any concerns about your babies movement you need to call your OBGYN and they will help you with that.
Thanx bubbles...actually everybody(including my midwife) has asked me not to worry as it's too early to feel proper kicks as it's my first baby...they said it'll be slight fluttering now and only later on i'll be able to feel proper kicks/movements...but u know since i'm the mum i'm still getting worried....my next scan is next friday....so i guess i'll just have to sit tight till then...lol!

Thanx a lot...nd take care:)
I was around the same time as you when I first felt mine move. The only time I would feel her move was in the evening, lying flat on my back in bed and breathing slowly through my nose instead of my stomache. I would barely feel this little thump at the very bottom of my tummy. Maybe give that a try and see if it works!
hey there. I am actually past due on my little girl--2 days so far. First baby. I remember when I started to feel movements (not kicking) and it was into my 4th/5th month. They were not kicks yet.. it felt like gas bubbles, and until I had felt them over and over, for the  next couple weeks I could not pinpoint them. It really just felt like gas or hunger pains. After I was used to that feeling, I would notice it more often. It was not until about the end of my 5th month or even 6th that I noticed actual kicking, where my stomach would look like an alien was in there :) It is such a comforting feeling.. now  being past my due date, those kicking/moving sensations are scary, because I feel like I should be feeling her more, and I am starting to feel her move less and less, as there is less room in there for her. I have a non-stress test today though, and should find out when I will deliver. Good luck!
Marcy