Pregnancy Expert Forum
Frequent Braxton Hicks at 16 Weeks GA

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Frequent Braxton Hicks at 16 Weeks GA

At 16+1 Weeks I started having BH Contractions--more than 5 per hour. My OB had me come into the office. He did a transvaginal ultrasound to measure my cervix, pelvic exam to ensure I wasn't dialating, and an abdominal ultrasound to check the lining of my uterus, placenta, and baby. He witnessed two BH contractions while I was in his office. He assured me that everything looked great and to do just the opposite of whatever I'm doing when they happen. I've discovered that when I recline or lay flat on my back I get BH Contractions like crazy... 5+ an hour. Is there any reason this would happen only when in that position?
Hi!
I'm not totally sure why it is that contractions are more frequent when lying flat.  I have heard ( and experienced it myself ) many times.  Your doctor's advice is classic and good if: patient-- When I do A I get B  doctor--don't do A!  

I think it may possibly be related to the fact that when a pregnant woman lies flat on her back, she compresses her vena cava (the major vessel bringing blood to the heart from the lower body) between her spine and her baby.  This decreases blood flow to both mom and baby and seems to result in both increased BH and baby movement.

So, try lying on your left side, or at least at a tilt (you can fold a towel and place under your right cheek to tip you to the left while sleeping, etc).

Good luck!
Dr B