Pregnancy Expert Forum
GESTATIONAL DIABETES AND LATE DETECTION

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

GESTATIONAL DIABETES AND LATE DETECTION

Hello, I found this forum searching for information on Gestational Diabetes
My wife is 30 weeks pregnant and today they called from her OB/GYN to let her know that she failed the 3 hour glucose test, and that she needs to start a program to control GED. She is going to a public clinic, while reading online about GED I read that this test should be done between 24 and 28 weeks of pregnancy.

My wife is worried and depressed, wondering why didn't they do the test earlier on her, She is going to meet the OB/GYN to start GED management next week, so by then she will be already 31 weeks. Searching for information we read about the negative effects of GED on the baby.

-Does late testing (30 weeks) cause more negative effects on the baby?
-If yes, what are some of the conditions that we should worry about?
-Is there a way to monitor the baby and make sure she is fine?
-Why didn't they do it earlier. I asked them but they said there was no need to do it earlier? Are they correct on this?

Sincerely

Max.
Hi!
If your wife was my patient, and if she had any significant risk factors for diabetes, I would check a blood sugar early in pregnancy and then at about 24-28 weeks as you have read.  Most of the research done on patients with gestational diabetes show no difference in outcomes for mothers and babies with gdm as compared to mothers with gdm.  So IF your wife had GDM it is unlikely that testing a few weeks late is going to effect the outcome of her pregnancy in any significant way.  I guess what I am saying is that in ideal circumstances the test would have been done earlier, but it will probably make no difference that is was done a little late.  Usually patients can manage gdm with some changes in their diet and exercise patterns. The doctor may choose to do some extra ultrasounds or non stress tests, but according to ACOG guidelines that would not be indicated.
She and the baby will be OK!
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you so much for your response. You gave me a great explanation. I wish her doctor would take the time to explain things just like you did.
I have diabetes in both my pregnancies, they test later because it doesn't usually show effect till then, don't worry and try not too read the Internet as it is does worry you because they cover everything, I've been fine throughout mine and my little boy wasn't big and he was fine as well, a relatively good diet is all I did, and of course checked my levels 3 times a day, it's not as bad as you think, trust me :)
Also....in my first pregnancy they tested around 29 weeks so I only had too diet and take my blood daily for only 10 more weeks but in this pregnancy they automatically assume you have it again so I've been testing as early as 12 weeks so its a long haul this time, but my point is that all my bloods have been low and good. I haven't really been dieting, that's proof that it doesn't take effect till much further on in your pregnancy, so the fact your wife has found out so late shouldn't worry you, I hope this helps, I'm only 25 so not good with words still lol :)
Hi I have diabetes and have to check five times a day. They are good with you and constantly monitor baby more  than usual. I had a 9lb 13 oz boy last new year and expecting again in Feb. They usually keep an eye on the size of baby and if ness they induce a few weeks early. Just eat a balanced diet and watch your sugar and carb intake. X
I had normal pregnancies with my first two kids and with my third I had diabetes, the only thing that happened to me and they told me, is that my baby could be larger than normal because of it.  And my baby almost weighed 11 pounds.  Other than that no worries as long as she watches her sugars and diet intake.