Pregnancy Expert Forum
Getting pregnat after 45.....

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Getting pregnat after 45.....

I'm 45 and recently was pregnant but had a missed miscarriage (Oct 8 was d & c ). I conceived naturally. I'm currently TTC. I have been reading all this stuff about how hard it is to conceive after 40. I conceived within two months of trying.

My question is can I still be really fertile because I had missed my period for about 10 years because I was morbidly obese? I have recently lost over 100 pounds and got my period back. Did this preserve my eggs?

My baby I just lost I was under a lot of stress and was exposed to chemicals and paint fumes. Bad nutrition and other factors that could have led to me loosing my baby.
HI!
Unfortunately the timing of menopause is programmed into us from birth, and it doesn't depend upon how many times you ovulated, or didn't, so I would like to say "yes, you saved all those eggs", but it wouldn't be correct.

Also, unfortunately, the chances of the embyro being abnormal when a woman is over 40 is fairly dramatically greater than for younger women.
So, in reality, you most likely lost your baby because of an abnormality in the chromosomes.  Miscarriages are very common in older women.

If you are still ovulating,  you have a chance for a healthy baby.  ( I remember one patient who had her first at 50 and her second at 51).
Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you for your comment! I am not going to give up hope of having another precious little one in my arms. I'll keep trying. Waiting for my rainbow baby to appear...
My mom had me at 37 and my sister at 41. Both healthy and in our 20s now. My mom had two miscarriages in between us. I say you still have a good chance. Keep trying and good luck!
Oh, and it took just 2 to 3 months to conceived us i was told without tracking ovulation.
Thank you for your encouragement. I'm just going to nd every night and see what happens. My husband is taking vitamins now too. So hoping for a sticky rainbow soon.