Pregnancy Expert Forum
HCG beta

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

HCG beta

can some one give me advice on my beta results THANKS im so nervous!

4/22/2009 beta @ 131
4/24/2009 beta @ 394
4/29/2009 beta @ 3965
4/30/2009 beta @ 4633 (ER visit stomach pain)
-they say im about 6 weeks had ultra sound no baby yet just a sac.....please advice thanks
Hi!
Your HCG values suggest a normal intra-uterine pregnancy.  The first thing I would do is repeat the ultrasound with my own machine and a very good tech.  Then, depending upon the size of the sac ( I think it can be up to 1.8 cm and still be normal) I would wait a week and repeat again.  It is possible that you are very early, or it is also (unfortunately) possible that you have a blighted ovum. In the case of a blighted ovum, no embryo/baby ever develops--only the sac.  This cannot go on to a normal out come and always ends in miscarriage.

I hopt that you are just very early, and the next scan is better!
Good luck!
Dr B
6 weeks is early to have an ultrasound.  Did you go through fertility treatments to conceive?  I do not know much about HCG results, just that they are supposed to double every two days.  Based on your numbers, it looks promising.  Having just a sac visible at 6 weeks is normal.  I hope it all turns out okay for you.

I too am quite confused about HCG tests.  Because I went through fertility treatments (Clomid/Metformin) my doc sent me for any early scan at 6 weeks and blood test workup (not sure what was tested).  I did not get the results back yet, but last week, my doc called me at work and wanted me to go to the hospital and get a beta-HCG test ASAP, and have it repeated today (2 days after the initial one).  Today he called me at work again and said he wanted to talk to me.  I asked if there was a problem, but his nurse just said, "oh no, he just wants to talk to you."  I had an appointment scheduled for the 19th, but they changed it to the 14th.  I would think if it was an emergency that he'd want to see me sooner.  Since I do not have any "numbers" I am completely out of the know.  Just needed to vent.  Any advice out there?