Pregnancy Expert Forum
HCG shots for weight loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

HCG shots for weight loss

I have been taking HCG shots for weight loss for about 2 months now.  I have lost 30 pounds, and have been feeling great.  I am late for my period, and have taken a pregnancy urine test which was positive.  I then had my family doctor do a blood serum test which showed positive for pregnancy as well.  My diet doctor said that if the blood test was positive then it meant I was pregnant, but my OBGYN said that it was probably from the HCG shots that caused it to show positive.  I have had a lot of early pregnancy symtoms (symptoms) as well, and I really feel that I am pregnant, but I don't know how to be sure.  If I am pregnant then it would be 5 weeks and 5 days, so I really want to know.  Do you think the blood serum test was a false positive?

I don't know the answer to your question.  Knowing the level detected in the blood test would be helpful.  

However, an easy way to know if you are pregnant is to have a pelvic u/s performed.  At 5-6 weeks at least a gest sac and yolk sac (if it is a normal intra-uterine pregnancy) should be visible and very possibly a fetal heart rate.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
It depends on what your hcg level was.
It doesn't mean it was a false positive necessarily, but it could have been leftover hormones from the shots you had that caused it to be positive. You should get a quantitative hcg to find out how high the levels are. Then the doctor should be able to tell you if the levels are consistant with pregnancy.
the hcg can stay in your system up to around 14 days and can result in a false positive. When was your last Hcg shot in comparison to your blood test?
Stop the shots immediately, wait 10-14 days, then take another test.