Pregnancy Expert Forum
HPT positive, Doctor office negative

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

HPT positive, Doctor office negative

I have taken 4 HPTs that all came back "positive" I went to see my PCP for a follow-up of a medication and mentioned to the MA that I had 4 positive HPTs. My doctor had me take urine pregnancy test in thw office which came back negative. When I saw my doctor she completely dismissed my HPTs and said I was not pregnant and changed subjects. Now I am confused, am I to carry on as if I am not pregnant or if I am?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would want to do a confirmatory blood test so that we would be certain how to proceed.  I would find it difficult to dismiss 4 positive tests, unless I knew that you were reading them incorrectly.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
You should probaly carry on as if you were. The tests are made to record a hormone you only have when you are pregnant. A false nagative is more common than a false positive and to have four false positives is very unlikely. Wait it our a week or two and take another at home test if its positive than go to your doctor and ask for a blood test which is more accruate that a urine test. hope it helps :)
I've had the same thing happen to me. Took 6 hpt and all came back positive. I went to the docor to confirm the pregnancy but the urine test came back negative. I ended up getting a blood test to check for hcg and the next day the doctor called to tell me I was pregnant. I would ask for a blood test or wait a week and go back again for a urine test. It's possible that you're just too early and the docs urine tests may not be as sensitive as hpt.