Pregnancy Expert Forum
Hair dye during pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Hair dye during pregnancy

I am 16 weeks today and had my hair colored two days ago at the salon. I have read that highlights are ok but have seen different things on all over color(which is what I got). Most things iv'e read said it's fine after the first trimester and I did get a semi- permanent color rather than permanent, but I'm still feeling extremely guilty and scared that my vanity may have hurt my baby. I don't plan on doing it again until after the baby comes even if it is ok. Also I think the color was left to process longer than needed (about 45 min) due to the fact my hairstylist had another client at the same time. Please give me your opinion!!
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would be full of reassurance right now.  The likelihood that you have done any harm to your baby by coloring your hair is almost zero.  All of the literature that I can find says that hair dye is not absorbed in suffcient amounts to cause any harm.  In fact, it is probably OK even in the first trimester.
Your baby has a very consciencious mommy!
Good luck!
Dr B
hiya,
the main reason for pregnant women not to dye their hair is because your hormones change and the dye might not take well you are not harming your babey,
Pregnancy is a time of incredible changes and while your baby begins to grow you might find that your hair does the same, thanks to all those extra pregnancy hormones. Unfortunately for those of you who dye their hair, this accelerated hair growth means roots will be showing through quicker than usual.
Not only because the hormones, the warnings are also because old hair dyes used to have formaldyhide (sp?) in them... Luckily hair dyes are a lot safer now a days