Pregnancy Expert Forum
Hcg Not doubling in 48 hours.

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Hcg Not doubling in 48 hours.

Hi there,
              My name is Kimberly and I am 39 years old. I have a 3 month old daughter born on Oct 5, and I am around 6.5 weeks pregnant.  My Lmp was Nov 27th, I took a pregnancy test 5 days before my period which was negative, and then took another test about a week after my period was due and had a faint positive.

I had my first Hcg draw on Jan 13th which was 30678
Jan 14th I had an ultrasound which showed a 6 week fetus with a heartbeat of 125.
Jan 15 I had my second Hcg draw which was 37,500 (the second test was done 46 hours after the first)

I just came back from the doctors who did not seem at all concerned about those numbers, in fact he said he was satisfied that this is viable. He said for my own peace of mind I can have an U/S in two weeks to make sure all was ok.  I was always told(and also have read) that if the numbers were not doubling, the pregnancy was not viable, or it was probably an impending miscarriage.

Needless to say I am both confused and worried. I don't know why they did not have me go for a 3-4 test since I have read that after 6000 hcg it takes up to 4 days to double, there was only 46 hours between the two of mine.

Do these numbers concern you at all?

Thank you so much
Kimberly

Hi!
WOW that's really great for a 39 year old!  You go girl!  Your numbers are fine.  The hcg DOES approximately double every 48 hours, but not after it reaches a certain level.  At your level, it would actually be worriesome for other problems if it DID double as it would then be too high.  If you were my patient, I would do just what your doctor did.
Congratulations!
Dr B
Thank you so much Dr. Elaine, I am thankful that my husband just looks at me and I get pregnant( he is not allowed to do that after this one!) I am sure it does not hurt that he is 16 years younger than me, but I do come from a long line of sturdy breeders! My mother had 4, and both sisters have 3, this one will make #3 for me as well.

You gave me excellent advice when I was pregnant with Ava Kathryn, and I just want to say thanks again!

Kimberly