Pregnancy Expert Forum
High HCG, empty sac

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

High HCG, empty sac

Hi, I'm a 28 yr. old with history of two miscarriages and one normal pregnancy in between. Here's everything and it makes no sense to me, I'm reading about other girl's HCG levels and they seem SOOOO low and they think they're high, mine are crazy, it's like my hospital tests differently or something. My Dr. mentioned blighted ovum, but my levels keep going up, haven't heard from him lately, but I don't think that's the case.  Maybe twins?

2/27 - normal cycle
3/25 - very light, very short cycle
4/24 - 5 days late. bloodwork showed pregnant HCG = 20,000
4/27 - ultrasound - 5 wk. sac, empty
5/3 - HCG = 51,427
5/7 - ultrasound - 6 wk. sac, empty
5/11 - HCG = 102,122

What is your opinion, I GREATLY appreciate it!!!!
I would ask for a repeat u/s also. I am currently pregnant with what looks to be my 4th ectopic. My HCG more than double(5/11 was 755 and 5/13 was 1897)
but I am very dizzy and have some cramping. Mybe..just maybe it'll be ok. Keep the faith that everything will turn out ok for you.
Thank you both for your comments. And I have good news!  I had an u/s done today and there is a baby in there!!!!!!! and we saw the little heartbeat (150 bpm). The baby measures 7 1/2 weeks.  I did read on the net last night that high HCG can also mean Down Syndrome, but we'll just pray for the best!

JENLARISSA - I know how disappointing and heartbreaking it is to lose a baby. I'll be praying that everything works out for you. Good Luck!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)
oaky i went to the er lastnight .. cuase i was having some cramping and haveing some pain...so i went ande there i hsd my first u/s done and had HCG levels taken .. the dr came back and told me my levels are around 9,130 and i just had a miscarriage in jan. and at 2 1\2 months it was only 7,000 witch i know this preg is better then the last but when i had my u/l there was no pole yet... how do i know that i will be able to have this baby and if the baby will even develope.....
and i also have cysts on my L overy they said they were prettybad... can some one help me with some advisee

Samantha!
NeeNaz - Thank you!

Prego - Have you had a period since your miscarriage? do you have any idea how far along you are? Look at my dates and levels again (up at the top). Because my first hcg came out at 20,000, thatput me in the 6-16 wk. range, so the Dr. assumed the 2/27 period and was counting the 3/25 period as "vaginal bleeding", so then he started the ultrasounds and we didn't see anything and didn't see anything. But I was only almost 5 weeks with the 20,000 level. At the ultrasounds the gestational sac was matching up to the 3/25 period, but for some reason my hcg levels were sky high, I had my first appt. today and he still doesn't have an answer. The last hcg (102,122) actually fits in my range that I'm in now, it was just the first two that were way off. But as you can see we saw our baby at 7 1/2 weeks and everything's looking fine. So hang in there, try not to let the levels scare you too much, I did and it's turned out just fine!  -  sorry I can't help with the cists.
From first hand experience, HCG levels are just an indicator.  It seems like an exact science when you read about it but mine were out there too and and im 29 weeks pregnant now with a healthy baby boy.  Ive had my downs sonogram at 12 weeks, and the alpha protein tests and the 18 weeks sonogram all showing negative for downs and nural tube defects.  Good Luck!
Congratulations!!!!
Having read your situation gives me relief. My LMP was 6th may 07 and I had a early US on 6th June 07 which showed 1.8mm sac and yeaterday at 6wk 4 days I had US again sac measured 1.58cms (15mm) with Fetal pole and Yolk sac seen, but no heartbeat found and the sac age shows 5wk 6 days. I'm worried as the doctor didnt sound positive until HCG report showed 25950 and I have HCG test again tommorrow which is 48 hrs later to see if it is doubling. Knowing that you saw the Foetus only after 7 weeks gives me relief. Please if anyone could advise why no heartbeat is seen at 6wks 4 days. Is it normal??? Will they see it next week when i have US??? I am very tensed and want this baby anyhow...
it is very normal!  my doctor told me not to even go get a u/s until 7 weeks because the heart beat would not show up.  try not to worry you sound completely normal.  for some reason doctors like to scare us.
hello ladies!  I'm new to the site and I have some questions and concerns!  Well, my last normal cycle was 2/25/07 but on 3/25/07 I had a light cycle that lasted two days!  However, my doctors have been going with the 3/25/07 cycle to calcutlate my due date.  This past friday, I had a doctors appt and she calculated that I was around 12 weeks and 5 days.  She checked for the heartbeat and couldn't detect it.  She stated that my uterus measured around 3 months and that it was tilted. (Reason why she probably couldn't hear it with the doppler).  She gave me an ultrasound and saw that the sac was empty but my HCG levels were around 17000.  She stated that either my calculations for my LMP are off, which I'm sure are correct or either it is a miscarriage.  She wants me to come back in this week to check HCG levels and perform another ultrasound.  Ladies, has anyone had the same problem or ended up with a healthy pregancy?  I'm praying that everything works out!

Thanks a lot dear...It gives me relief to read your advise. I will let you know on 2nd July once my US is done... Also all the best to you. How does it feel being 29 weeks pregnant. It must be a great feeling right!!! Is it your first baby???

Prayerchangesthings

Hi dear, dont panic as your brain releases the hormones so dont let stress takeover. Your HCG seems to be normal for 12 weeks pregnancy as I have checked the normal range between 7-12 weeks is between 11500-28900. Just wait till your next US and pray for your child. As your nick name says Prayer changes things...dont be negative... I will pray for you too...
Thanks for the words of encouragement!  After reading everyones comments, it has helped relieve some stress!  Thanks for all the prayers and I will continue to pray for everyone else!