Pregnancy Expert Forum
Horrid pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Horrid pain

Im 16w3d and I've been having a sharp shooting pain so bad in my left side that it takes my breath away. I'm also type 1 diabetic. Should I go to the er?
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
I expect by now you have decide whether or not to go to the ER.  If you were my patient, I would want to do an exam and some tests such as a urinalysis and ultrasound.  The pain could represent a kidney stone.  Constipation and intestinal issues such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome could also be causing left-sided pain.  I would want to do the ultrasound to be sure everything was alright with the pregnancy--most miscarriage or ectopic symptoms are going to present with bleeding, so I don't think that is what is going on.
If you haven't been to the ER, you should certainly call your doctor and discuss your symptoms with him/her.
Good luck!
Dr B
3 Comments
Blank
2141290_tn?1349036741
if your that concerned I would call your dr. they might make an appointment or they might tell you to go into the ER for immediate evaluation.. it could be your sciatic nerve. I have the problem regularly but ive noticed as ive been getting father along in my pregnany the pain has been getting worst. Try a warm bath or shower, taking a walk, stretching, or a heating pad.
to stretch sit in a chair and place your ankle on top of your opposite knee. and lean into your leg. do this on both sides.

GOODLUCK
Blank
The exact same thing happened to me when I was that far along. Scared the crap outta me. I told my doctor & she said it was from ligaments stretching caused by the baby's growth, but it shouldn't continue much longer. I'm now 27 weeks & 5 days & now I feel stretching but it's not that sharp breath taking pain I used to have.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now