Pregnancy Expert Forum
Horrid pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Horrid pain

Im 16w3d and I've been having a sharp shooting pain so bad in my left side that it takes my breath away. I'm also type 1 diabetic. Should I go to the er?
Hi!
I expect by now you have decide whether or not to go to the ER.  If you were my patient, I would want to do an exam and some tests such as a urinalysis and ultrasound.  The pain could represent a kidney stone.  Constipation and intestinal issues such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome could also be causing left-sided pain.  I would want to do the ultrasound to be sure everything was alright with the pregnancy--most miscarriage or ectopic symptoms are going to present with bleeding, so I don't think that is what is going on.
If you haven't been to the ER, you should certainly call your doctor and discuss your symptoms with him/her.
Good luck!
Dr B
if your that concerned I would call your dr. they might make an appointment or they might tell you to go into the ER for immediate evaluation.. it could be your sciatic nerve. I have the problem regularly but ive noticed as ive been getting father along in my pregnany the pain has been getting worst. Try a warm bath or shower, taking a walk, stretching, or a heating pad.
to stretch sit in a chair and place your ankle on top of your opposite knee. and lean into your leg. do this on both sides.

GOODLUCK
The exact same thing happened to me when I was that far along. Scared the crap outta me. I told my doctor & she said it was from ligaments stretching caused by the baby's growth, but it shouldn't continue much longer. I'm now 27 weeks & 5 days & now I feel stretching but it's not that sharp breath taking pain I used to have.