Pregnancy Expert Forum
IUD + pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

IUD + pregnancy

Just had Mirena put in June 8th.  Have had slight spotting ever since.  Now my boobs hurt and I am feeling nausia.  I feel like I did in the beginning of my last pregnancy.  I just started feeling tired and sleeping more.  I have not had my IUD checked yet.  That is coming up in mid-July.  Could I be pregnant?  When I had the IUD put in I had alot of pain and cramping and was worried about it being "right".  But I didn't know how it was supposed to feel.  I was not on birth control before having Mirena, so could these just be symptoms from the change to Mirena?
Hi!
The IUD check will be important.  They can use the ultrasound to image the IUD and make sure it is in the proper location.  It IS possible to get pregnant with an IUD in place, so it never hurts to take a test.  With the Mirena IUD it is extremely common to have irregular spotting for up to 3 months after insertion.  I warn all of my patients that they can expect this.  Also, it does not keep you from cycling, so most women have their normal PMS symptoms even if they don't get their periods.
If you can hang in there for awhile, most women really like the Mirena.  It can be a real nuissance in the first few weeks though.
I hope this is useful!
Dr B
no dont worry i felt the same way when i had mine put in 2/09 i totaly thought i was prego and when i went for my 6 week checkup took a prego test it was negative. and i started my cycle the next day.
On the other hand to be safe you should probaly sced a prego test. you know your body better then anyone else would. and if you r prego which is still possible even with an iud, you would need to get it removed asap for the babys safety.
GOOD LUCK
A related discussion, IUD symptoms? was started.
A related discussion, Light Period was started.