Pregnancy Expert Forum
IUD and heavy bleeding
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

IUD and heavy bleeding

i'm 24 and have never been pregnant.
I had a copper IUD put in a little over a month ago. For he first two weeks my symptoms were light :Light spotting and minor cramps. then I started to bleed, heavily, just straight blood not at all like my period with sever cramps and fatigue.
it lasted five days and i ended up scared in the emergency room, mildly anemic.
they checked me out, said that they couldn't understand why i was bleeding so much but that it can happen when the uterus is irritated. that this happens so often its considered a normal side effect and can l;ast up to six months, sometimes a year after insertion. they suggested i get it removed.
I took supplements for iron and a large amount of evening primrose - and within 24 hours  everything stopped.
Now I'm over a week late for my period and worried (i'm usually very regular). They did a urine sample atthe hospital so two weeks ago i was not pregnant/
I've had no cramps or any indication that my period is coming (which also are very regular)
is this a side effect of the iud?
could it have been the stress on my body?
is this also one of the many side effects i wasn't prperly warned about ?