Pregnancy Expert Forum
Implantation Cramping?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Implantation Cramping?

What are implantation cramps like? i've heard they are different for everyone. When do they occur and when do they go away? this would be very helpful! thanks!
Hi!
You are quite correct that the sensation is different for everyone.  In fact, I am guessing that the vast majority of women feel nothing at all. The embryo is so tiny that it can't cause too much trauma.  Sometimes there is a small release of blood from the implantation and some cramping associated with that.  Any type of pain that is strong or persistent should probably be investigated by a doctor.

Hope this is helpful!
Dr B
Implantation cramps aren't different from AF cramps. Infact they are mostly like menstral cramps that's why implantation and implantation bleeding thereof are so easily confused with approaching or approached AFs.

These cramps occur usually from 6-10 days after ovulation. If you have or even do not have them coupled with spotting they can last from 1-3 days.

However, if you have an ectopic pregnancy then you can have them only on one side of the abdomen depending upon which fallopian tube in question is chosen for the fertilized egg to attach itself to. In the case of ectopic pregnancy you'd mostly have cramps on one of either side.

Sometimes even if you do not have ectopic pregnancy even then due to the egg attaching itself to the uterine wall you can have implantation cramps.
I'm 4 weeks pregnant and i have slight cramping and my doctor says it is common.  My doctor told me they are phantom cramps and that some woman get them around the time they should start their period. i was also told it is nothing to worry about unless they are severe.
I had some cramps also from week 3-5. my nurse said is normal and possibly represents extra blood flow to the area. good luck