Pregnancy Expert Forum
Induction and dates question
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Induction and dates question

I am scheduled to be induced on Thursday, the 14th. According to my doctor, I will be 39 weeks, 4 days. I am about 4 cm dilated and 100 % so and this is my 4th child and I have had fast labors before so he feels I could have a very quick labor this time around. They will break the membranes and hopefully that's all it will take.

I have a question about dates.  My first appointment was with another doctor and he said my due date was 10/23.  I had had just one period since weaning my son so I'm not sure how accurate this was. My first ultrasound was on 2/21 and the gestational sac was 10.10 mm, which would make my due date around 10/18. This corresponds to about 6 weeks, I think?  My next ultrasound was a couple of weeks later and he then said my due date was 10/18 and that is what we have kept. I had an ultrasound at 17 weeks and 24 weeks and they both corresponded to the 10/18 date, though I from what I understand, these later u/s are not as accurate.

My questions are:  What if the due date is actually 10/23? Would a 10/14 induction be too early and compromise the baby?  I have read that babies born even at 39 weeks could have breathing or neurological problems and 10/14 would put me at under 39 weeks.

My doctor doesn't seem concerned about whether the due date is 10/18 or 10/23, am I overreacting? Should I postpone the induction or are there real risks associated with a very fast labor that is not managed in hospital?  My last two deliveries were between 3-4 hours but I was not induced and I was not so dilated when active labor began. Could I stay at 4+ cm for another week or so?