Pregnancy Expert Forum
Is Propranolol safe during pregnancy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Is Propranolol safe during pregnancy?

Hi-
I am currently 11 weeks pregnant and suffer from anxiety.  Prior to being pregnant I would take 5-10mg of Propranolol a few times a month for performance anxiety.  I have withheld using it so far but it has really hindered me at work.  I have a big presentation I need to give this week in front of 150 people and fear getting on stage without taking it.  However, I am also nervous about any potential harm to my baby.  Can you clarify if it is safe to use propranolol (5mg) infrequently during the remainder of my pregnancy??? thank you very much!!  
Best Regards
Hi!
I must also ask you to ask your own doctor, but if you were my patient, I would tell you to go right ahead and use it albeit sparingly.  I don't think I could make a presentation in front of that many people without some help!
Good luck!
Dr B
Hello
First off, you have to see what class that medication is in.... Class A,B, &C are OK for pregnancy. Class D is not and is known to cause some birth defects more often then those who are not on the Class D medication. Look up the drug and see what class it is in.
Next, I am on medications and I am pregnant. I was on xanax and klonopin before my pregnancy, but since both are Class D I got off of them.
I am now on 30mg of Buspar which is a Class B medication and it has helped tremendously. Also, most anti depressants are OK during the first trimesters of pregnancy and even in the third, but there is a risk of withdrawal symptoms to the baby in the third trimester. I am on cymbalta which also helps for anxiety, but I use it for pain.
Anyways, this should have helped answer your question. And as always, you and your OBGYN must decide the benefits and risks of being on medications and which will be better for your stability during the pregnancy.
Being stressed during pregnancy can cause the baby to release fecal matter into the fluid causing serious problems to the baby, even death. Also, extreme stress can cause early labor or miscarriage. Talk to your doctor, but what I have put down is very much accurate. TY!