Pregnancy Expert Forum
Is there anyway I could be pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Is there anyway I could be pregnant

Dear Dr.

I had unprotected sex last May 2012 and took the morning after pill, it delayed my period by 10 days, and then subsequently after that even though I have had 7 periods, the cycles have been irregular.

It wasn't enough for me to accept that I was in the all clear, since then I have had 4 beta hcG pregnancy tests, which have all been negative and countless home pregnancy tests.  I even had two ultrasounds at what would have been 18 weeks and 21 weeks (even though I had them done privately), I didn't share the reason for wanting them to be done, I said it was because of my irregular cycles, neither technicians reported anything out of the ordinary.  My uterus was measured as normal, and the second technician even said, I can see that you ovulated from your right ovary.

I know what I am suggesting is crazy talk, I am currently on anti-depressants for anxiety and low level depression, but I would really appreciate if you could put my mind at rest, If I was indeed pregnant I would be delivering about right now, so you can imagine my anxiety levels, I keep on imaging twinges in my stomach etc. I keep on reading these stories that women don't realise they are pregnant, never register on a pregnancy and blood test. I'm also worried that as I didn't tell the technician about possible pregnancy and just said irregular cycles, they may have missed it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags: ovary
HI!
If you were my patient, I would reassure you that there is almost no possibility that a pregnancy could be missed after having done all of those tests. All of the patients that I have seen who "didn't know they were pregnant"  never had any testing done.
There is a condition known as pseudocyesis in which women who are not pregnant strongly believe that they are pregnant.  I wonder if you may suffer from something similar.
Hope this is helpful to you!
Dr B
Dear Dr Brown

Many thanks for your response, in my mind I know this is impossible, I guess the fear of being pregnant has me behaving very unnaturally, I will try to keep rational.  Can you just answer one follow up question, if you aren't looking for a pregnancy in a uterus then could it be missed in an ultrasound at around the 18 week mark.

Thanks in advance
I've. Had numerous pregnancies.  There is NO way they'd miss a pregnancy that far along..  Good luck:)
Thank you for your comments, I know what I am suggesting seems the stuff of folklore and myth. When I had my scan, they said that they suspected I might have a polyp in my endometrium, so the transvaginal ultrasound would have looked at things in detail wouldn't they?
Theres no baby, at 18 weeks you can see heaps! Even the sex of the baby. And its been almost over the time from your period in may, really you dnt see that you havent grown? And a baby hasnt popped out. Sorry to sound mean, I dnt mean it, hope your well...
This happened to me a couple of times... I thought I was for sure pregnant even though pregnancy tests and an obgyn told me otherwise. I wanted a baby so bad that I just let it get to my head when I watched a show on tv called "I didn't know I was pregnant" and thought that I was pregnant even with my periods. If they did an ultrasound and all of those tests it would be best for you to just stop forcing yourself to believe that there is even the possibility of pregnancy. Irregular periods can be aresult of many things one of which stress. Which in your case would be self inflocinflicted stress. Believe me, if you're pregnant a doctor would have told you this a long time ago. So would a test. I thought I might be pregnant everytime my period tracker said I was late every month so I took hpt's. Guess what? Every one of those tests came up negative. I tracked my period every month and never truly missed one until last month. I took two tests february 7th and both came up positive for being pregnant. And guess what??? They are right! I am pregnant this time. My husband and I are expecting our first child. So it would be best for your own sake to quit letting yourself believe that you are possibly pregnant when it has already been proven otherwise. If you don't you will drive yourself insane with the false hope.
I can absolutely see your logic, I put on some weight before all of this started, so keep on thinking my belly is hiding this....all your comments are kind but realistic
Yes, and doctors have even told you that you are not pregnant. If you are still that scared that you might be pregnant you might want to seek some psychiatric help because you are only harming yourself.. maybe not physically but emotionally and psychologically you are. I apologize if it seems rude but it just sounds to me that you are reading these things and hearing what is being said but you refuse to accept the truth.
hi dear. i think you really need help concerning this and i don't think it is ordinary but i think if you try out some ways, all will be well. if you are interested in it, just mail on brian_08lee at yahoo ******* and i will introduce you to it because i was once affected by it but now am cool and doing fine.