Pregnancy Expert Forum
Light period or pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Light period or pregnant

My husband and I had intercourse using condom but halfway discontinue to used it and use withdrawal instead. I got my period this month but light than before and only for 3 days. I normally 5 to 7 days and normal flow.  Is there any possibility that I'm pregnant because I felt some strange feeling on my tummy. Please help and advise. Thanks  
Hi!
I ALWAYS recommend a pregnancy test, because anything is possible.  In your case, I doubt that you are pregnant, it is more likely that you are just having an unusual cycle -- these are common, and usually nothing to worry about.  In the future, if you are really not ready for a baby, Plan B (emergency contraception) can help to provide some peace of mind.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
Implantation bleeding is usually very light and occurs around 2-4 days before expected period is due. So you could usually get a positive pregnancy test when you discover the spotting. If it's negative, wait a couple days then retest.

As far as pullout method: I've read that it's more effective if he hasn't ejaculated within 24 hrs, or 48 hrs to be safer. That's how the sperm can be in pre-ejaculatory fluids. This means any ejaculation, from sex, masterbation (masturbation) or wet dreams. If it's been less than 25-48 hrs you increase the chances of sperm being in the pre-fluids. Also, some men don't withdrawl (withdrawal) fast enough. Even if they intend to they might not get enough notice to pullout. It's very risky. My husband and I have used that method for years. I conceive very easily when trying. So it has worked for us. Mainly because we know to not use that method less than 24-48 hrs after ejaculation. Though, if pregnancy happened it would have been fine. So the risk factor wasn't so servere. If we were greatly avoiding pregnancy under no circumstances would we use the pullout method. Spermicide works well for days we don't do pullout method.

Good luck!