Pregnancy Expert Forum
Low fetal heart rate

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Low fetal heart rate

I woul like to know if there is any hope for a viable pregnancy after a vaginal u/s detects a fetal heart rate of 64-71bpm @ 7.3 weeks.  I am prepared for the worse case scenario/I have had a m/c before but I would like to know if there are any sucess stories to speak of.  I have been given 2 weeks off work for bed rest, will this make much of a difference?  I have an additional u/s next Monday.  Hoping for the best but fearing the worst...Thanks

An abnormal heart rate in an early pregnancy is an ominous sign, however, one can never surely know until you have the repeat ultrasound.  Stay encouraged.

Dr. Downing
Thank you for your response.  Much appreciated.
I had an u/s at 7weeks1day and the heart rate was around 30, and my sac was irregular in shape.  I went for a repeat u/s the next week and the baby grew to 1 day ahead, so instead of 8weeks 1 day, it measured 8weeks2days and it had a heart rate of 164, so there really is no telling until you have a second u/s or they can hear the heart beat with a doppler.  Hope this helps, good luck.  
Hello again, just to update my post... I went for my follow up u/s yesterday and we saw a heartbeat!!
The heart rate went up and was 156bpm,  I'm so relieved.  I know we're not out of the woods yet but it's a good sign. I felt like the situation was hopeless last week.  Thanks for sharing kgl7177, I really neede to hear that someone had a similar experience with positive outcome.  There's alot of sad statistics about low fetal hr and it's scary when you read only bad news.  Thanks again.  Dr. Downing.. thanks for taking time to answer these posts - it's a real comfort to know your here.
I have been searching the internet for information on low fetal heart rate.  I am 9 weeks today.  I have had three ultrasounds and I am really confused. During the first the heart rate of the baby was 88, then 124, then 88.  I am so confused, I don't know if I need to see a specialist or if it is just a fluke.  
I think once the MD answers a wuestion he rarely comes back to the post.  Try posting the question again in a new thread..  Any news?  How are you feeling?
A related discussion, farah was started.