Pregnancy Expert Forum
Lower left back pain in early pregnancy...is it normal???

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Hello, I am about 4 weeks and 3 days pregnant.  I have been having some lower left back pain for a few days.  The pain is mild and feels almost like a tugging sensation.  I feel like I am very constipated and bloated also.  I also had very few drops of light brown spotting on Saturday and then a little yesterday morning.  I called my OBGYN and talked with the nurse and she said that the spotting was normal, but at the time I was not having the back pain so I did not mention it.  Like I said it is very mild, but it is noticeable.  I guess what I am worried about is an ectopic pregnancy.  Does this sound like what it could be?  I don't want to over react and call my doctor again.  Any advice will help. Thank.
Hi!
I hope I can be reassuring to you.  The symptoms you are having sound like they are more likely to be related to the constipation than to the pregnancy.  I do definitely suggest calling your doctor again if you have any more spotting though.  I usually want my patients to call me with each episode.  In your case, it might be important to follow blood levels of the pregnancy hormone to be certain that the pregnancy is developing normally.
Hope so!
Good luck!
Dr B
Anyone?
Thank you for your reply!!!  There has been no more spotting at all and the back pain has went away.  It did really let up after I used the restroom.  Again, thanks for your reply!!!