Pregnancy Expert Forum
Maternity leave

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Maternity leave

I am 23 weeks pregnant.. I have had minor problems with my pregnancy and the dr's nurse has mentioned oh take a couple days off work and one time it was a week at a time.. My job has pretty manual labor standing on my feet for 9-10 hours at a time.. I have problems with my sciatic nerve and come home literally paralyzed for the rest of the night. I have went home multiple times bc my right leg has been numb for hours at work.. Am I allowed to ask the dr to put me on leave bc my job doesn't give me the option for light duty or to sit down?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would tell you that you can ask anything you want, and I could put your case in writing for you, but ultimately it ends up being your job that decides whether you can have leave.  Also, many times if you take leave before the delivery, it cuts into your maternity leave after the baby is born.  So check it out! If your job is reasonable, they might see things your way.
Good luck!
Dr B
Depending on where you are from, your employer may legally have to give you lighter duties. I would double check as it is usually the case. They can't force you to do something which puts your health and well being at risk. You may need a note from the doctor to confirm.
I actually am only 14wks pregnant and just got put on bed rest for a couple months Mr Dr actually signed my disability papers and all I did was notify my job. They can't tell you no if your Dr is saying yes its necessary.
I would seriously talk to ur dr and let him know wats goin on, i also hhave been havin those problems and my job has a program called fmla and hold ur job and u get 12 wks to have off