Pregnancy Expert Forum
Miscarriage and still passing tissue

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Miscarriage and still passing tissue

I just had a miscarriage this week. The ultrasound showed sac was 10 weeks, and baby only 6 weeks. I started bleeding and then had contractions and was always passing HUGE clots, about the size of my hand. Kept everything and took it in to the doctor. She then did an exam and cleared out what we thought was the rest. I am not bleeding enough to soak a pad in an hour at all, but still having some clots, not as big, maybe the size of a quarter now. Then today, 4 days after the start of the contractions, I have minor cramping occasionally and this AM passed a small piece of tissue. It looks like fleshy colored. Does this mean the doctor did not get it all? I did not have a DnC, just done through exam and at home.
Thank you,
Megan

Old blood and decidual tissue (the tissue that lines the inside uterine wall during pregnancy) is very often confused as fetal tissue.  Rarely is it.  That said, retained tissue (usually placental tissue) is the most common complication of a miscarriage and D&C's.  Since you are worried, contact your doc and let them know.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I forgot to ask as well, my blood work shows I am anemic now, from my prenatal panel, it was 12.4 now I am 10.4, I am taking iron. How long does this type of anemia last?
Thank you!
Megan
i was 3 weeks pregnant and i started see brown spottings and a day later i had bad crampings then pass out a long blood clot and the pain stopped. since then i am experience light to moderate bleedings. what is the possible cause of this?
A related discussion, did i miscarried was started.