Pregnancy Expert Forum
Monochorionic Twins

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Monochorionic Twins

My wife is 10 weeks. we found out yesterday she has Monochorionic Twins.

The Dr scared us with all risks.

How bad is this??????

thanks
Mark
Hi!
First of all I want to say congratulations!
Secondly, if your wife was my patient, I would be cautiously optimistic.
I wonder if they told you about the amnion? Monoamnitotic is the most concerning placentation.  If the twins have a membrane (the amnion) in between them then things are even more hopeful.
Any one would consider this to be a high risk pregnancy, but ALL identical twins started out somehow, and plenty are born healthy at full term.

It is excellent that you already are aware of the twins and their placentas/membranes.
This will allow you, your wife and your doctor to manage your pregnancy as carefully as possible, and will give you the best chance for a good outcome.

Of course you know that means the babies are the same gender.  At 10 weeks you can't definitively tell what that gender is yet.

I wish you the best!

Dr B
Thank you for your fast response. This is great to hear.  

She did not say anything about the amnion yet. we will go to a specialist on Monday for a vaginal ultrasound to confirm the findings and I will certainly ask about it.  

so if there is amnion, what are the risks? is there is good chance to have two healthy babies?

if no amnion what are the risks?

thanks and regards,
Mark

Hello.... My wife is 10 weeks pregnent with Identical momo twins sharing same sac.....

Please advice us on the diet and care i should ensure for my wife in thecnext 10 weeks....

Malav
Hi, i am currently 11 Weeks pregnant with monichorionic twins. They have labeled me as high risk and they have not yet seen the dividing membrane so they are thinking they might be monoamniotic as well. Maybe your wife and i can keep in touch and share our experiences. Maybe be encouragement for each other. If interested, my email is Alexis.***@**** or ***@****.
Alexis.Nunn at my mail for Dade medical dot edu. I guys i have to be creative when giving you my email. Please keep in touch. It would be so nice to have someone who is going through the same thing. My EDD is 8/11/13
I had mono mono twins about a year and a half ago. Dont be scared just follow the doctor's orders and take care of yourself.  Be thankful for your 2 blessings!
I'm 28+5 weeks pregnant with mono di twin girls. I was very worried throughout my pregnancy about the risk of twin to twin transfusion, etc, but they do frequent growth scans and tests to make sure everything is fine. Both my babies now weigh 2 lb 10 oz each and are doing wonderfully. Just listen to your doctor and try not to stress. Tell your wife to stay hydrated, one of the most important things you can do in a twin pregnancy to avoid preterm labor. Good luck!
I had mono twins with no dividing membrane. I was put on bed rest at 20 weeks due to preterm labor, and we had a lot of ultrasounds to make sure they were growing at the same rate.