Pregnancy Expert Forum
Never-ending period

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Never-ending period
This past month I had a normal period like any other. However, a week after my period ended I began to bleed again. I know this can be normal but I have never really spotted in between my periods and I'm on day 9 of my "second period" I guess you could say with no signs of slowing down. The bleeding has been more moderate than heavy but at what point should I go to see a doctor? What separates normal spotting from excessive bleeding?
Hi!
The cycle you are describing is not normal.  It is common though for women to have an occassional "abnormal" cycle.  If you were my patient, I would order an ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the lining of your uterus.  If it was too thick (more than 10mm) I would consider an endometrial biopsy.  Once the biopsy was done, (or if you didn't need one) I would prescribe some medication to stop the bleeding.   If the lining is thick, the best be is progesterone.  If the lining is thin, the best bet is oral contraceptives.
You can wait and see what happens, and if the bleeding stops and is never abnormal again, there is no need to call your doctor.  If it doesn't stop within a day or two, or if this becomes a pattern for you, you definitely need to get a check up
Good Luck!
Dr B
Is there a difference between spotting and implantation bleeding??