Pregnancy Expert Forum
Normal pregnancy?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Normal pregnancy?

I had an ultrasound done at what I thought was 5 weeks 5 days and a yolk sac was seen but no fetal heart or fetal pole seen, and a repeat ultrasound to be done 10 days from then.  Is this normal to not see any fetal pole or heart at this stage?  The ultrasound tech said she wouldnt put me at 5 weeks 5 days.  Please help
Hi!
Yes, that is too early to see a fetal pole or cardiac activity.  In ten days, you should see a nice change with development of a little "grain of rice"  with a tiny flickering heart beat.  I wish you the best!
Dr B
I had IVF and my first ultra sound was at 5 weeks 1 day. The only thing we could see was two sacs. I believe it was just the gestational sac. Then the following week at 6 weeks 1 day, my doc saw the yolk sacs as well on both babies (twins), and saw the hearts beating on the monitor. Ultrasound at 7 weeks showed their growth progress and we heard the hearts beating via ultrasound. So don't get discouraged. Every pregancy is different. So they may see the yolk sac and a heart beat next time you go for your ultra sound. Good Luck to you. Keep me posted on the ultrasound since it's only a few days away.

Thank you for your response, the ultrasound went very well!!!  We saw the heart beat!!  152 bpm, it was incredible.  The baby only measured 1cm which from my research isnt as big as most are this far long however Im not panicking about that as Ive been told all fetal development is different.  Ive also taken some comfort in how nauseated ive been which to me is a good sign, but not so fun!  So as of now I am relaxed and excited!!