Pregnancy Expert Forum
Period 8 days late, 5 negative pregnancy tests

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

I'm freaking out.  I'm 25 years old.  Have been taking birth control for 6 months straight.  I didn't miss any pills this last month, but I was expecting my period January 8th and it never came.  I kept waiting b/c sometimes its a day or 2 late.  Well now it's 8 days.  I've never been this late before.  I had light cramping a few times and thought I'd start but never did.  My boyfriend and I had sex where he didn't pull out December 31st.  I've taken 5 pregnancy tests.  I took one the 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th of January.  They're all negative.  I called the doctor and set up an appt for next thursday, but in the mean time I'm really stressing.  I just want to know what you guys think.  I don't want a baby, so I'm not hoping for that.....but why else would I have missed my period when I never have before?  I haven't been under stress until this started, so I don't think it's that.  Somebody please give me some input about what they think......  The doctor told me to continue my new pack of pills until I find out what's going on, so I started that yesterday.  I've had slight discomfort in my stomach, and my nipples seem to be really red.  Other than that I have no symptoms.

There are many reasons why a woman may miss her period besides pregnancy.  The visit with your ob/gyn should be helpful to sort out why.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I also had a delayed period recently (I was hoping I was pregnant), I took 5 tests-all negative. I went in to the Dr's office hoping by some miracle an US would reveal a small sac but came out brokenhearted when I was told that not only was I not pregnant but I had a rather large cyst on one of my ovaries! I'm not saying that's the case with you but you should probably push for an US during your Dr's appt to rule out anything serious. Good luck and take care.
I had the same problem just last month.  It was around Christmas time and I have to say I truly did not enjoy myself because I was so worried over whether or not I was pregnant! I never told a soul, as I would've been somewhat ashamed. After 2 weeks of not having my period, I let my friend know and we decided to go get a pregnancy test the following day. That morning, I miraculously got my period! What a major sense of relief that was. So all I can say, is wait it out and see what happens, check in with your doctor. That's about all you can do. All the best!
did you have any pregnancy symptoms? jw
hm, I'm going through that right now....I haven't had my period for 11 days and it still hasn't come.  I've taken 6 tests and they all have said negative.  My grandfather passed away a couple weeks ago, so stress has been a major factor in my life.  So hopefully it will come soon, or maybe it just skipped...
I'm so scared to. I have not had mine since the 10th of december. I have taken one test and it waz negative. I'm so scared cause it has been to long. I don't know wats up, but I'm scared to go to the doc.
i am 28 years old and haven't had a period since dec 15th. i just wanted to let everyone know, that this can be normal. i went to my dr.  you want to make sure you have a period within a few months, but to skip one or two is normal.   if your pregnancy tests are coming out negative, then that is probably correct. if you dont get your period in a couple of weeks, definitely go to the dr.   not because of pregnancy, but because they might want to put you on a hormone pill to get your period started.  stress also causes periods to be late.   try not to freak out too much, it makes it worse. also birth control pills can cause your cycle to be messed up.         hope this helps. try to relax.
It's good to know that's sometimes normal.  I'm going on 3 weeks late.  My period is supposed to be here on Sunday but we'll see.  I'm also really athletic (lift weights and such) so I figured it could be because of that too?
im 19 years old, and im already 12 days delayed.. i take a preagnancy test, but its negative, this realy scares me.. im too young to have a baby.. why is it the test is negative yet my periods is delay??
freaking out!! my partner and i had unprotected sex on the 2nd and 3rd of feb and in the past months i have been really careless with my pill due to being on a break with my partner which made me forget my pill since i wasnt sexually active. i was due to get my period on the 13th of feb.. wed until sunday and its usually heavy and comes like clockwork lasting for 5 days however on the 12th feb the day before i was meant to start my period i had spot bleeding which was brown in colour and very light, sometimes only showed when i wiped, nothing like a normal period, this lasted for 3 days which was accompanied by period like cramps. even though the spot bleeding stopped the cramps carried on. iv been sick this morning but i do have a cold, im sleeping a lot and having far too many mood swings, my stomach feels heavy and bloated and i get headaches and dizziness. i took a test on frid 15th and then again on 20th both showed negative.. what else could be wrong or could i have tested too early? plzzz give me some advice
Hello baffled,

Home pregnancy tests differ in their sensitivity (i.e., the ability to detect the hormone of pregnancy when it is present).  The most sensitive of these are First Response Early Result and Clearblue Easy Earliest Results.  The earliest either of these might detect a pregnancy would be at the time of the missed menses (generally ~two weeks after conception).  When a HPT administered at the time of the missed menses returns negative it is recommended to repeat the test in a one week.  If negative and you still have concerns I'd advise you to see an ob/gyn for further evaluation.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Its probably the hormones from the b/c pills, my friend went through that same situation.
The last time i got my period was Jan 16th (start) to Jan 28th (finish)... its not Feb 24th and i havent gotten it once,

Wondering whats going on,

My last period was Jan 21, 2008 I have NEVER been late and I was suppose to start on Feb,18. I am 8 to 9 day late, I have took 3 HPT and all of them are negative. I am not on any birthcontrol but I have been taking alli weight lose pills for the last week and a half. I have experienced some tenderness in my breast a couple weeks ago and I have been going to the bathroom more frequently...also some sleepiness, feeling lazy, brief, cramping, headaches, and feeling sick to my stomach. I have made an appointment with my doctor but it isn't until the middle of next month...I am concerned and wondering if I should stop taking the alli until I know whats going on?.....
im 24 years old and my husband and I have been trying for a baby so naturally when I was late last year by 2 weeks I thought I was pregnant but turned out that I was stressed and it made me stop ovulating! There are a lot of things that can effect you ovulating, like stress, eating habits, picking up or losing weight! So i didnt get my oeriod for 3 months and since not on medical aid had to wait to see government clinic. I found out that I misscarried in Oct last year and hormones where too high to ovulate!
My friend had same prob and turned out she was taking extra vitamin B supplements for energy and they stopped her from ovulating!
Hope you find your answers!