Pregnancy Expert Forum
Period or not a period?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Period or not a period?

So friday while I was still on my birth control ( I have been on birth control for going on 2 years now) I got a cramp in my front left side and after going home found I guess period looking blood on my underwear so thinking somehow an early period on the pill I put on a pad, hour and a half later there was no sign of any blood activity...starting about a day later I was spotting a bit...and I am still spotting while I am off my pill and waiting for a period (I'm on day 3 of off the pill since I didn't bother to take my last pill before placebo) I am very normally good at taking my pills, never late, and that has never happened before at all, so I am a bit concerned but a bit curious, has this happened to anyone? If so what was your results? My friend who is pregnant said could be pregnancy but I don't want to chalk it all up to that possibility...
HI!
If you were my patient, I would advise a pregnancy test--that is certainly one possibility, and it would be prudent to know whether the test was negative or positive!  Your symptoms are common, though, and If you were my patient AND your test was negative, I would recommend starting your new pack 7 days after you finished the old one.  (I am assuming that you have a 28 day pack).  
One option for this cycle, might be to use emergency contraception such as Plan - B or Next Choice.
Good luck!
Dr B
I don't have any experience with the pill, but it sounds like it could be implantation bleeding if it is indeed pregnancy. Take a home pregnancy test  with your morning pee and see where that takes you. If anything your period will show up soon