Pregnancy Expert Forum
Pinworms :(

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Pinworms :(

Hi, i work in a creche and i have picked up pinworms! :( Its really embarassing and horrible, ive read the tablets are too dangerous to take during pregnancy and my doctor confirmed this, im 8 weeks this weekend and really worried if they can effect baby? :( ... Did anyone here ever have them and how did u get rid of them naturally? Thanks in advance. Really stressed right now! :(
HI!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that you are correct that the usual remedies for pinworms are NOT safe during pregnancy.  There are some
"natural" products on-line, but I would not be able to vouch for their effectiveness, and I am fairly certain that they have not been tested in pregnancy, so my bias would be to recommend AGAINST their use.
IF the infection is so severe that it is causing weight loss or sleeplessness or other severe problems, Mebendazole can be used in the third trimester, but once again, ONLY if the benefit would be expected to be greater than the risk to the baby (which should be small in the third trimester).  The GOOD news is that Mebendazole  IS safe to use while breast feeding--so once the baby is born, you are good to go.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
You poor thing!! I had pinworms when I was a kid and it is the worst thing ever!! You can't have to wait until your third trimester or even after the baby's born... there has to be something you can do. My heart goes out to u:(
Doctor says i have to get rid of them naturally.. Eating things like garlic and pumkin seeds.. Along with really good hygiene should take 6-13 weeks until they die off :( .. Totally grossed out, just wish there was something that could work faster :( Just once baby is ok i suppose :) Thanks for reply :) x