Pregnancy Expert Forum
Placenta Grade

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Placenta Grade

My daughter-n-law was just told that her placenta is aging faster than normal.  She is in the beginning of her second trimester...she is not a smoker or drinker.  Will this be a problem for her baby.  Her doctor did tell her not to be too concerned at this time...the baby was healthy and seemed to be a little larger than normal, so she might be a little further along than originally assumed.  If her placenta continues to age, is there anything they can do to reverse this or do to keep the baby safe and nourished.  
Hi!
Sorry to respond so late--your question got shifted down into the "done pile" and I missed it.  They are probably seeing evidence of calcium deposits on the placenta.  The placenta is designed to function for exactly nine months--then we don't need it any longer.  In patients who do smoke, or those with diabetes or high blood pressure, we often see evidence that the placenta is wearing out too soon.  When this happens, it can lead to problems with growth of the baby.  In your daughter-in-law's case, she seems to have no risk factors, and you mention that the baby is large--so I suspect that this won't be a big problem for them.  But if she were my patient, I would probably ultrasound her about every three weeks to watch for growth and be certain that there is plenty of fluid.
There isn't much she can do about her placenta, except not start smoking or drinking, and perhaps some mild exercise such as swimming which will lower blood pressure and keep blood flowing.

Congratulations Grandparent!!
Dr B