Pregnancy Expert Forum
Pregnancy after endometrial ablation

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Pregnancy after endometrial ablation

I recently became pregnant after having endometrial ablation last August. My doctor said this was "disasterous" and that I could bleed to death. No tests were offered to me I was just told the best thing to do was to terminate the pregnance right away. I did what my doctor advised and have now found information to show that I may have had a viable pregnancy and not risked my life. I now want to have another baby in the future. Is there anything I can do to get my body ready? I found the following article:

As I said before it has been a little over 3 years since my ablation, and my uterus had collapsed because of the scar tissue. Well my OB reopened my uterus and removed all of the scar tissue and said my lining looks great now that all of the scar tissue is removed, and he said with hormone treatment it should continue to grow normally now. He has me on estradiol for a month, and then I'm supposed to take Provera for a week, and continue this treatment for 3 months. He said now he just has to get me to start having a monthly cycle, because if I don't my uterus could collapse again. He did say that my uterine lining was healthy enough to support a pregnancy, but without having a period it was unlikely I would get pregnant. He said the hormone treatment should work, because this is the treatment they give to women with irregular periods. Has anyone been on this treatment to help with conception or to restore periods?
hello,

Even if a "normal" lining is visualized this doesn't suggest the lining will function normally, and there are risks of abnormal implantation that might not support a pregnancy to term or the placenta may abnormally adhere to the uterus resulting in complications at the time of delivery that could potentially require an emergent hysterectomy to resolve).  So, a woman looking to conceive after an endometrial ablation is taking on risk, and the extent of that risk is not well known.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing  
My Dr told me the same thing. Didnt offer any tests or even to see me. I went for a 2nd opinion but it didnt seem as if the dr I saw knew anything about this other than the two studies he had found and printed out. I knew there were high risks and without anything concrete to go on i terminated also. I really wish there was a way for them to look at your uterus and lining to see if it could carry a pregnancy to term. They told me there reallly wasnt after you became pregnant. I wish i could have found out more, had tests done or something. I didnt want to continue the pregnancy any longer if i wasnt going to be able to keep it because i was barely 6 weeks and all  i saw was a sac. I didnt want to have to terminate a fetus that was developed.
Thank you for responding to me. I found a clinic that said all they would have had to do was an ultrasound and that at 6 weeks they could have seen where the sac was implanted and told me what my risks were. They said that I can have tests run now that I am no longer pregnant to see how much lining I have and how much endometrium is left. They also said that since I never stopped having a period my chances of carrying to term are good. This clinic works with other women who have had similar circumstances and with good results. I hope to have more information after my appt next Monday. Birth control fails sometimes and I know I can never have another abortion so I need to find out what is going on inside me.
I would love more information on this. I am divorced and dating a wonderful man. He would love baby, but doesn't want anything to happen to me or hurt me. I had an ablation 18 months ago. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to make my uterus able to carry a baby. Any direction you can send me would be great!
A related discussion, Pregnancy after an ablation was started.