Pregnancy Expert Forum
Pregnancy and Blood Clots

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Pregnancy and Blood Clots

I have a question on blood clots and pregnancy.  A little history, I was hospitalized for pulmonary embolism (PE) about 1 year ago.  I had no risk factors for blood clots other than being on birth control.  I am not overweight, over 35 yrs, non smoking, had no genetic clotting disorders.  I was on Warfarin for 6 months but am currently on no  treatment.  My question is now, should I be doing anything like taking asprin or anything?  Also what about when I want to get pregnant?  Do I just start the Heparin therapy when I find out I'm pregnant?  What about unplanned pregnancies?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would want to be sure that you were negative for Factor V Leiden mutation, Pro thrombin G 20210 A mutation and Anticardiolipin and Antiphospholipid antibodies.  Some doctors might only test for these if you had problems with infertility. Others would test anyway--best to do all testing BEFORE pregnancy, as pregnancy can alter some test results.

If you want to wade through it, there was a very good review article in the New England Journal of Medicine 2008(Nov); 359(19): 2025-33.  I believe you can access their articles on their site.  It is written by Marik and Plante.

Their recommendations for someone with your history would include only careful monitoring for symptoms during pregnancy, with Low molecular weight heparin (Lovenox) and compression stockings for six weeks after delivery IF you had a c-section.

A baby aspirin is not going to hurt anything either outside of or during pregnancy, so there is no reason NOT to take it,

Hope this is useful!
Dr B
Hello I am 7 weeks and 1 day pregnant and my Dr today told me I had a blood clot but didn't tell me where it was or what was causing it. On Saturday I went to the ER with some spotting and was told everything was normal and baby was measuring ok and there was a heartbeat.
How do I find out where my blood clot is and how it affects my baby? Thanks !
I hope my experience helps you. I am 7wks and 5 days and I also have a blood clot on my uterus. My doctor spotted it on a transvaginal ultrasound. Its called a subchrionic hematoma. I have done my homework due to me having 3 previous miscarraiges. What I have learned is usually it is formed due to the baby implanting itself into your uterus. You do want to have your doctor monitor it because sometimes it grows and can cause a problem. My doctor says that usually your body will absorb it by 12 weeks. I have had brown and pink spotting with no pain off and on since week 4. I am taking aspirin 81mg to help it absorb a little faster. I am on light bed rest until week 12 just in case. I will keep you in my prayers because I know what you are going through. Keep me informed on how things are going.
I have factor V leiden and I recently had a son.  If you believe there is any chance that you have it you need to get tested.  I was considered high risk because of this and my specialist told me to take a baby asprin once a day to stop the clotting. I also needed to go for weekly checkups and stress tests
I have one of the two factor V leiden genes.  With my first pregnancy, I took blood thinners for 6 weeks subsequent to my c-section.  I'm due in 7 weeks, and that is what my OB plans to do again.  Did you take blood thinners during your pregnancy?  I am terrified of getting a blood clot after my c-section this time.