Pregnancy Expert Forum
Pregnant & Suboxone

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Pregnant & Suboxone

I am 9 months pregnant and have been on Suboxone. My Ob does know and they have done ultrasounds and various tests and the baby is fine. My only problem is whether I should detox from the Suboxone now or just have the baby? I've read alot of things that say withdrawaling while pregnant is very stressful on the fetus and that detox for infants is not that bad and only a few days. But I am very confused and losing sleep over this! I did ask my doctor this and she said it was up to me...I also asked her about the withdrawal in the baby and she said the baby will just be sleepy for a few days!!! Please any doctors that can help or anyone that has been in my situation PLEASE HELP!!!  I am due in less then three weeks!!!! So HURRY

There is very little published information regarding suboxone and use in pregnancy, and there is likely no right or wrong answer for your question.  I'd suggest you do what is best for you, as a relapse at this stage in pregnancy would be more detrimental than your infant needing to be treated for withdrawal symptoms which is highly likely as is.

You may want to speak to the pediatric service at the hospital you intend to deliver for more input from the pediatric side.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
1 Comment
A related discussion, Is suboxone safe? was started.
A related discussion, Suboxone and pregnancy was started.