Pregnancy Expert Forum
Pregnant Heart Murmur

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Pregnant Heart Murmur
At the beginning of my last pregnancy (which ended in miscarriage at 6 weeks - Feb 08), my doctor heard a heart murmur.  I had an echocardiogram done which stated the following:
Left ventricular systolic function is normal with an ER of 55-60%
Left ventricular size is normal.
Left atrium is normal in size and function.
Mitral valve is normal.
Mild mitral regurgitation is present.
Aortic valve is trileaflet and appears structurally normal.
Mild tricuspid regurgitation is present.

About a month after the miscarriage, no murmur was heard during my normal exam.

I am now pregnant again (May 08) and the murmur is back.  My doctor has stated that it is an innocent murmur, but I am nervous about it.  Could the mild regurgitation be a problem in my pregnancy or in general?  I should mention that during my first pregnancy (2004), I developed preeclampsia at 38 weeks and had severe post partum hypertension that was successfully treated with medication and subsided completely (off meds) by 4 months postpartum.  No murmur was ever mentioned to me during that pregnancy.

Should I be concerned about this mild mitral regurgitation?  Should I be seeing a cardiologist throughout this pregnancy?

Murmur and echo report have nothing to do with pre-eclampsia or having had a miscarriage.  

Pregnant women are more prone to develop what is called a systolic flow murmur (which is considered harmless or "innocent").  This means when your heart contracts, blood can be heard flowing through one or some of the heart valves when listening through a stethoscope.  This is because the plasma volume in your circulatory system increases, and with that increase the flow becomes slightly more turbulent (or louder)

So no need to worry.  Continue to follow the advice of your doctor.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I am now 21 years old as of september 7th. I was born with a heart murmur, I was 11 weeks and a half and I had a miscarriage. I was wondering if somehow my heart murmur affected the pregnancy? I went to the E.R. and I told them about my heart they checked it and said to really see a cardiologist before getting pregnant again. So now I'm concern if I'm pregnant again will I have another miscarraige? I had unprotected sex a week an a half after my m/c and again when it was 2 weeks after my bleeding from m/c. Now I'm starting to feel sick, upset stomach, tummy aches, nauseous, dizzyness. I don't know if that means I'm pregnant again or an infection possibly?