Pregnancy Expert Forum
Pregnant and had mri w/ contrast
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pregnant and had mri w/ contrast

I just found out that I am pregnant. I had an MRI with contrast a few days ago and didnot think it was possible that I was pregnant since we have been using protection.Now I am worried that something might happen to the baby! Please help me!
Related Discussions
242596_tn?1192429549
Hello,

There are no reported harmful effects from MRI of the pregnant woman or fetus, however, it is generally not recommended in the first trimester.  Also, per your concern, the use of contrast material is not recommended in pregnant patients at any time.  Gadolinium-based contrast material does crosses the placenta to the fetus.  I would recommend routine obstetric follow up.  At this point there is nothing you can do about it and there are no ameliorating measures that can be taken.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank