Pregnancy Expert Forum
Preterm labor?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Preterm labor?

My sister just called and said that she had a gush or water and had continued leaking  She is 29 weeks pregnant and this is her second baby.  They are on their way to the hospital, but I live 700 miles away and am concerned.  Does this mean she will be having the baby soon?  Will the baby be ok if she comes so early?

She'll need to be evaluated and confirmed to be ruptured.  If indeed she has ruptured her membranes she will most certainly delivery early, but the question will be when.  She'll need to be assessed for preterm labor and the possibility of an infection.  if neither of those things occur she can be managed expectantly, that is to say until she exhibits signs of infection, goes is to labor, or reaches 34 weeks gestation.  The baby will need to be at a hospital with a level III NICU and they'll want to administer steroids to your sister immediately to help with the baby's lung maturity to aid in its adjustment to the outside world.  Babies born at 29 weeks generally do well.  Survival is almost guaranteed and the risk of major disabilities is quite low.  You'll have to wait to hear from your sister regarding the details of her status.  For now, things will be day to day and may change rapidly.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
If her water did in fact rupture, she will most likely be admitted to the hospital and watched until labor is imminent, but they will try to hold it off as long as possible. My aunt's water broke at 26 weeks and she stayed in the hospital for 8 weeks and delivered at 34 weeks.  But she will be in the hospital until she does deliver so they can control any infection that could arise.  Hope this helps!!!