Pregnancy Expert Forum
Provera and pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Provera and pregnancy

I have been on my period for two months now non stop. so my dr prescribed provera for 14 days to try to get me to stop and have normal cycles. it says not to get pregnant while taking this medication. what will happen if i do get pregnant while on provera. and how long does it take to stop my period (i am on day three of the pill)
thanks,
Pinkie28
Hi!
Although we don't recommend getting pregnant while taking Provera, it has never been shown to cause any type of birth defect.  You should use precautions, but in the event of a "mistake" the baby would most likely be fine.  
It usually takes several days for the bleeding to stop when you are taking provera, and you might have another "period" in a week to two weeks after you finish the medication.

If your goal is to get pregnant, Provera alone won't help.  You may want to discuss something like Femara with your doctor.  This will help you to ovulate more regularly,  which will help to regulate your cycles and improve your chances for pregnancy.

If you DON'T want to get pregnant, you might want to ask your doctor about birth control pills to regulate your cycles.  These work very nicely to give you a monthly cycle that is predictable with  shorter/lighter flow.

Some women don't want to do either one, in that case, I will often give them a prescription for Provera to use anytime it has been longer than 31 days since the last cycle.  Provera will induce the period within two weeks. ALWAYS check a pregnancy test before using it though!
I hope this is useful to you!
Dr B
Hi Pinkie. If you do get pregnant on Provera, it might have some hazardous effect on the baby and its future health. So it is advisable to take precautions while you are on the medicine. Regarding the stoppage of bleeding, it could take 5-7 days to actually halt the bleeding especially in your case where there has been a non-stop bleeding for a long period.
Thankyou for your help and we will deff take precautions. i appreciate it!
thanks again,
Pinkie 28
A related discussion, 5mos amenorrhea was started.