Pregnancy Expert Forum
RED SPOTS ON SKIN
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

RED SPOTS ON SKIN

When I got pregnant with our daughter, I started to notice these small red dots appear randomly on my skin.  They are almost like broken blood vessels.  There is no discomfort or itching, they are just unsightly.  I am now pregnant with our second child and they seem to be getting worse.  They are on my hands, arms and back mostly.  Of course, I am tired and sick to my stomach alot, but I am preggo.  I didn't know if this was something to be concerned about.  I hate the way they look.  What can i do?  Is it serious?   And I am sorry if this is not the correct place to post this question, however I do not have the option to post to the dermatology forum.
Thank you
Related Discussions
  • What are they? (2 replies):
    My mom has those small bumps on the backs of her arms. ...[more]
  • Pregnancy (3 replies):
    Why does my belly button itch? i think i might be pregna...[more]
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
Congratulations!  Those spots are normal, and form in response to the increased hormones associated with pregnancy. They are very similar to "spider veins" and can be treated the same way---with laser.  They aren't usually anything serious, but it never hurts to let someone take a look.  If your OB doctor doesn't know what they are, he/she can refer you to a dermatologist.  Usually the dermatologist won't treat during pregnancy, but you can get the laser therapy after the delivery.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker