Pregnancy Expert Forum
Should I do it or wait until 28 weeks
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Should I do it or wait until 28 weeks

I am 26 weeks pregnant I have an right ovarian cyst that is about 12*1 cm. The D.r. stated that it looks abnormal ,that want to remove it if I end up going into labor would the baby survive @ 26 weeks.
Related Discussions
242596_tn?1192429549
Hello,

Survival is 80-90% ~26 weeks, but morbidity is much greater (e.g., respiratory problems, bowel problems, long-term neurologic deficits and potential blindness are all risks).  You should have a consult with a neonatologist to counsel you around these issue in great detail if you are at risk of having a preterm delivery.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
3 Comments
Blank
no not likely. thats very premature.
Blank
well if you don`t survive then the baby won`t if the cyst burst you could be harmed. i have a 27 week preemie who is now 17 mo old and perfectly normal and the chances of survival after 25 wks are about 90 percent these days i know because my baby was in the nicu for four months and i talked to the best of the best of doctors and saw 100`s of babies survive.  go with what your doctor feels is best for you and baby.. keep us informed
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now