Pregnancy Expert Forum
Unusally light period while on the pill

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Unusally light period while on the pill

I am 22 years old, and have been on the pill for 2 years.  (Apri to be exact for the last year or so)  I have never completely missed a pill, or in other words, taken one more than 24 hours after I should have.  I typically take them around 8-9pm, and if I forget one, I remember about 8am the next morning....12 hours late, then I take my normal one at 8pm the same day to stay on schedule.  That happened once this month, I don't remember how far into the pack though, but I did take it the next morning.  When my period came, it was unusually light for me...but did continue for about 3 days..but there wasn't too much to it and it was all very dark.  I only went through 3 tampons, one of which I don't think I needed, but didn't realize it, and none of them were full, per say, and they were the lites.  I'm a little concerned as to whether or not I may be pregnant, although the chances don't seem too high, since even the info on my pills say if you only miss one, take it when you remember, and the next one at your normal time, and you don't need any additional protection.  But, this still concerns me.  No, my breasts don't feel sensitive or anything, and nothing else seems different to me besides the fact I've had more frequent headaches the last month.  Is it really all that likely that I am pregnant?  It sounds as if I was, I would probably have symptoms by now....(I'm starting the next pack of pills today and my period has already come and gone.)  I just want to know from someone who deals with stuff like this to tell me what their thoughts are on this.  Is it really even that likely to get pregnant on the pill if you took only one about 12 hours later than usual?  Thanks for your help!

You are right, it is very unlikely you are pregnant.  But if you are worried, take a pregnancy test.  If negative you can repeat it in one week to be certain.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Hi there i actually got pregnant on the pill took it like clock work too..
I would prob do a Home pregnancy test before you start the next round of the pill and if it does come back positive then see your gp..
All the best
Ally
The pill does weird things to your body. If you want to you can test for pregnancy.
I heard when you take it at the same time everyday the chances of being pregnant is 1% but when you take it at a different time like 12 hours later your chances of being pregnant increse.