Pregnancy Expert Forum
Upper GI done during early pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Upper GI done during early pregnancy

We had an Upper GI done on my daughter (before any of us knew she was pregnant) 13 days after conception. I'm so worried now. Can you please tell me if this could have hurt the baby and how?

She's also throwing up even her prenatal vitamins. I don't know what to do. Her first ob appointment is Nov.16th.

Thank you,
April
Hi!
At that stage of the pregnancy radiation has an "all or none" effect--that means that exposure to radiation either results in a miscarriage, or does not harm the baby at all.
Since your daughter didn't have a miscarriage she falls into the latter category, and there should not be any ill effects to the fetus.
Prenatal vitamins are very hard to take!  I often tell my patients to try cutting them in half and taking half in the morning and half at night.  OR if that doesn't work, I tell them to get a Flintstone's (or other) chewable vitamin that will stay down better.  When she gets past the first trimester and the nausea settles down she may be able to tolerate the prenatals.  If not, just continue with the chewables--its not that big of a deal.  The important thing is the 400mcg of folic acid daily if possible.
I hope that helps.  Its hard being a grandma!  I am assuming your daughter is young.
Good luck!
Dr B
Yes, she is 17. Thank you so much for answering my question. I've had so many worries and stress as it is. We are helping our daughter as much as possible. Thanks again and God bless!