Pregnancy Expert Forum
What are my chances?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

What are my chances?

I am 26 years old.  This is my 3rd pregnancy.  I have some very unusual circumstances with this one.  About 2 months ago I went to the doctor to get my iud removed and get my annual pap smear done. About a week after that was all done with i received a phone call saying my pap came back abnormal.  My gyno wanted me to come in for a colposcopy to get some of the tissue from my cervix.  Had that procedure done then got a call saying i needed to come in and talk about the results.  She told me that i had severe hsil and dysplasia if thats how you say it. she scheduled me for a cold knife conization.  That procedure was done on the 15th of October.  On the first of november I had a feeling that i was pregnant and i was also supposed to start my period on that day.  The test came back positive.  I had some pain and some slight bleeding.  I called my doctor and talked to the nurse she told me to take it easy and i was to be the next day for my post op exam. I just want to know my chances of keeping this baby? She said that i must have conceived the week before my surgery to not show up on the pregnancy test they gave me before the procedure. We werent trying we were going to get myself better better before we began to try to get pregnant. Hopefully someone can give me the encouragement and answers i need. In the back of my mind all day everyday is that my cervix is not strong enough to continue this pregnancy and i will lose it. and that would break my heart to pieces because it would be my fault.
Tags: high risk pregnancy, Pregnancy, surgery, cold knife conization
Hi!
I am sorry to get back to you so late, but I have a lot of news that I hope you will be encouraged by!  If you were my patient, I would advise you the same, there is really nothing different to do in the first trimester--as with all pregnancies, we wait and hold our breath to see if you will miscarry.
If you DON'T miscarry--ultrasound should be done right sometime between 12-16 weeks to check your cervix--if it is short, then you would likely be a candidate for a cerclage suture to help hold you cervix closed if it has been weakened by the conization.  If you cervix looks fine initially, you should be followed with ultrasound at intervals during the pregnancy to keep an eye on
things.
If you were my patient, I would say, with a bit of "grace" and some careful management there is a very good chance the pregnancy will continue.
I hope your surgery results were good too.
Dr B
I don't think you should think its your fault if something did go wrong its not like you knew you were pregnant. It's best not to borrow from tomorrow because you just don't know. Just take care of yourself and stay positive.
Thanks you both so much for your posts!
Hi. Sorry about your situation. If its any help though, I had sever cervical cancer and w a cold knife conization it cleared it up enough we could try and get pregnant. I wad worried about miscarriages too- they say you're most prone to miscarriage up until about week 16-30 so definitely take it easy. I know many women who have very successful pregnancies after these procedures- just remember it will probably be a high risk pregnancy and you may be put on bed rest as early as 20 weeks if things look too risky.  This is from personal experience and I'm a nurse so know my info is not just from google or something ;)