Pregnancy Expert Forum
baby has enlarged kidney
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

baby has enlarged kidney

Just got back from the Dr, I'm 30+2. He told me he wants another sonogram done at 34 weeks (before I was told I would only get the two I've already had unless something came up) because the anatomy sono showed my baby girl enlarged kidneys and pelvic area. Have any of you heard this before, and did it clear up or require medication or surgery for baby? He also told me my platelets were low, if they stayed that way I couldn't have an epidural. Again, have any of you experienced that? Thanks!
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would reassure you that I have had experience with both conditions.  I would advise you that USUALLY the dilated kidneys resolve without surgery (is your baby a boy?)  I would also advise you that if you wished, we could try a quick course of prednisone at term and induce if it worked to increase your platelets--this would be optional therapy as you could do without an epidural.  I would also watch you for any evidence of HELLP syndrome brewing.
Good luck!
Dr B
5 Comments
Blank
Hi my little boy also had the same which was detected at 20 weeks. His was due to his urine tubes hadn't closed properly and urine was going back up into his kidneys. He has a course of antibiotics when he was born and re scanned at different intervals. He is fine and is 4 now with no kidney issues. It did have a name but I can't remember it now sorry.  I hope everything goes well xxx
Blank
Thank you for responding! Gives me hope that it will be okay :)
Blank
My son had this problem, and it cleared up on its own completely and he didn't need any treatment after birth.  He had it earlier on, though.  My doctor said it's more common in boys.
Blank
My son was born w hydronephrosis/hydroureter. Its urinary refulx and his urine doesnt drain properly. Hes been on antibiotics since he was born and hes now 14 months. Im not trying to freak you out or anything but it doesnt always resolve itself. We are waiting to have surgery in august. Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank