Pregnancy Expert Forum
conception 2-3 days after 2nd methotrexate injection

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

My girlfriend had an ectopic pregnancy 2months ago.She then had 2 methotrexate shots with a 1 or 2 week gap in between each.She went to the doctors for birth control last week and they told her shes pregnant and the conception date is 2-3 days after the 2nd methotrexate shot.We we were shocked because we have been using protection and we were never warned not to have sex.Now we are scared because we are learning of the deformities and miscarriages associated with methotrexate.We are scheduled for ultrasound on Oct4 but we are so scared about the effects.What are the likely effects of the shots prior to conception?What are the miscarriage/deformities odds?Can all deformities be screened for, I do not want my baby to suffer?
Hi!
I am confused about your whole story.  If the doctors were giving methotrexate shots, presumably they were doing so because the hcg levels were still positive from the ectopic pregnancy.  How do they know that there is now a new pregnancy, and how do they know the conception date?  If the information is accurate, things may still be OK, because the embryo doesn't implant until almost 2 weeks after conception--at the same time that the hcg begins to be produced.

If you were my patients, I would double check all the information and times and dates.
My BIGGEST concern about a new pregnancy at this point would be to be certain that it is not another ectopic.

Good luck!

Dr B
We are confused too. The HCG levels were decreasing,still positive,thus the 2nd Methotrexate shot on Aug 10. Symptoms began on Sept 5 and blood test at the doctors confirmed pregnancy Sept 10.

Is it possible to have 2nd Methotrexate shot, ovulate, concieve (conceive) and test positive for pregnancy all within 1 month?

If so, is it possible to have a safe pregnancy?
Why isn't one of the doctors responding to the follow up question?  That would be the courteous thing to do when clarification was suggested by the doctor.

I hope you got your answers and that everything is okay now♥