Pregnancy Expert Forum
concerned about slow heartbeat

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

concerned about slow heartbeat

I had a scan at week 6 day 6 and the fetal heartbeat was 116 BPM. The doctor expressed some concern over this, stating he would like to have seen it be at least 120. How worried should I be about this? I have follow up scan scheduled in a week from now to check, but that is a long time for me to be worrying!

There is very little additional reassurance I or anybody else can give.  It may be absolutely normal (as the heart beat is at the lower end of normal), but no one can guarantee this.  Try your best to be patient and don't over think it.  The outcome is beyond anyone's control.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
I had the same thing happen to me, except it was at 7 weeks and only 80 BPM.  The doctor was very concerned and had me return two weeks later (I was out of town).  When I went back, it was over 180 and everything measured normal.  I had terrible headaches during those two weeks for nothing.  Hopefully the next scan will be normal.
I am having the same thing happen and have wanted to post for three days, but every time I try it is already full (and I have tried just about every hour from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm PST). Very frustrated with this board.

In any case, I went in for my ultrasound at 6w2d and the heartbeat was only 84bpm. The sonographer said it was slow and that my OB might send me for a repeat. When I spoke with my OB (actually his partner because my OB was in surgery), he told me he wouldn't give me a repeat because I wasn't cramping and bleeding...I think this is cruel and unusual punishment for a mother not to know if ever baby is still alive....I won't get to see the OB until I am 11 weeks...that is 5 more weeks of not knowing!!!
Ladies, I just went through this also. I was 6 weeks and had a fhr of 89. The dr. gave me a 50/50 chance. ughh, terrified I went back 1 week later and the hb was up to 125. She said that was normal. kajohn, you should consult your OB, I'm sure he would have NO problem sending you for another scan.
chamb11, I really don't see anything wrong with your hb. Mine was 125 at 7.0 and she said that was normal. keep us posted.
kajohn, also, I posted my low heart rate on the fertility Dr's forum and got my answer there. Try there if you're still concerned. Sometimes theres more room :)
I think you you contact your ob,and insist on another ultrasound.thats disgusting you have to wait that long considering what you were told...best of luck.xx
Had a follow up scan at 8 weeks and the doctor thought it looked great. She also gave me a bit of shock as well that she saw a twin with a heartbeat as well!
Gosh, that's fantastic news. Congratulations to you, TWICE!!
I heard my angels heart beat last night... 109 bpm, the tech said that is normal for 6 weeks 1 day. .... The range they give is 90-113 for 6 weeks I hope this reassures some of you. My prayers are with you. baby dust~*~*~