drugs and alcohol effect on sperm and baby's health
Dear Doctor,  my question is for a 32 year old male hoping to try to have a child.  My question is whether any drugs, but mainly illegal ones such as mdma , ecstasy and cannibus could harm the child if taken by the male three months or more before conceiving?  I know sperm takes 3 months to make so I wonder whether occasional use of drugs like mdma three months before trying for a baby is putting any risk to the baby? Related to this how much alcohol would risk harming the baby? I know women give up these things when trying for a child but wonder whether men should too for a certain number of months before the baby is conceived? Thanks v much!
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that most drugs and alcohol will NOT harm sperm quality, but might decrease the numbers and cause lowered fertility.
The other thing to consider too, is that whether you are going to want to continue to use these substances after the baby is born.  Presumably you wouldn't want to raise a child in that environment and cutting back now would be an excellent plan.
I can't condone use of any illegal drugs.  As far as alcohol goes, one to two drinks (beer or glass of wine) per day is reasonable.
If you can't quit, try AA.
Good luck!
Dr B
Hi Doctor B.  I totally agree that a drug habit is v bad for a child to be born into.  But can I please ask  about very occasional use of cannibus and ecstasy.  If these were used by the male partner in March , would there be an amount of time to wait until trying to concieve ?  I think from online search it might be four months is safe as sperm takes three months to produce/build and any drug would be out of your system within one month? Thank you very much and best wishes
I have a question but can't seem to be able to post on this forum. Help please.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.