Pregnancy Expert Forum
forceps delivery

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

forceps delivery

Hi, i was wondering the proper way of doing a forceps delivery. i had one on 9/23 because my baby was stuck after pushing for 3.5 hrs. she ended up being posterior and the Dr didn't know beforehand. you can't always tell right? the reason i want to know the proper way is because i had a narcotic so i was not fully awake and my husband said it took 4 people to hold me on the table while the Dr was pulling her out. that seems really excessive. i am not a big person but at 40 weeks i was 150 lbs and baby was born at 8.1.  she ended up having erb's palsy and phrenic nerve damage. her arm/shoulder is almost recovered but her phrenic nerve is not recovering. we don't know yet if it is severed or just damaged.  i just have no idea if it was not in the norm to have 4 people hold me down! it doesn't seem like it is normal.
thank you!

I suggest you speak to your physician about what happened during your delivery and request the medical record to learn what was documented after your delivery.  

I wish your child the best as it continues to recover.

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
Hi I have only seen one forcep delivery. The woman wasn;t a small women but did not need to be held down.  It did take the doctor a long time to pull the baby out though. I was shocked at the force it took to get the wee one out.