Pregnancy Expert Forum
hcg levels and ultrasound at 7 weeks

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

hcg levels and ultrasound at 7 weeks

27 year old female with a past history of 1 miscarriage at 6 weeks (blighted ovum).  I am currently pregnant again at 7 weeks.  Because I had a miscarriage last time, my midwife has been monitoring my hcg levels twice a week.  Below are the results in the order they were taken each week:

5 weeks:  hcg 2921  
          hcg 2911   progesterone  7.4
6 weeks:  hcg 3282   progesterone  13
          hcg 4036

Since my levels were not doubling nor rising very much, they were concerned with a miscarriage or ectopic.  Therefore, I received an ultrasound at 6 weeks 1 day, which showed a good intrauterine sac with fetus that measured 6w1d with a heartbeat at 124 bpm. Location of everything in the uterus was said to be a in a good place / position in my uterus.  Needless to say, my midwife was surprised.

The midwives are still wanting to monitor my hcg levels each week and they are beginning to make me nervous and telling me that my levels are not increase how they would like them to, however, the levels are still rising.  Also, they did place me on progesterone suppositories twice a day during week 5 just in case.  I'm having no bleeding or cramping at all.

My overall questions are:  
1) Do my hcg numbers mean that much now that a viable pregnancy with a good heartbeat was found?
2) Doesn't your chance for miscarriage decrease once the heartbeat is found and am I at an increased risk of miscarriage since my hcg levels are doubling every 2-3 days?
The u/s is supposed to override the blood work.  Yes, your chances of having a viable pregnancy after seeing a normal hb, are high.
It doesn't mean that your out of the woods yet.

I had levels that rose 60% in 48hrs, and the pregnancy failed after seeing a hb at 6weeks.
My best friend had levels that rose 50% in 48hrs, and she is due in 6 weeks, and having a boy.  

I would think an u/s in a week or so would be more reliable than more blood work....especially at this point, since a fetus can easily be found.
After 6 weeks, the levels don't double every 48hrs anymore.  

I would ask for another u/s.....just my OPINION.
I am 6 weeks from my LMP and i went into hospital with severe UPPER abdomen cramps on Monday after experiencing a very painful night. They gave me morphine for the pain and an internal US. They could only see a black liquid spot in the uterus. The sonographer said this was a pseudo sac and that it was probably ectopic. They then gave me surgery.keyhole but did nor find any baby in the tubes or anywhere around the uterus. My hcg levels were 19000 on the Tuesday. i have another internal straight after the surgery and that revealed a sac in the womb but with only a small black lump no HB. My hcg on Thurs had gone to 28000! They still think non viable, should I keep waiting, don't want another internal! I feel very sick now and pregnant. this is my third child, i have never had complications before. Someone help!
I am so glad I found this forum.  I was what I thought was 6.5 weeks pregnant.(according to LMP)  I started spotting light brown with mild cramps and went to the ER.  They checked my HCG and it was 3450.  Went the next morning for an U/S.  It showed I was measuring at 4w3d.  there was no fetal pole or heartbeat, which they said could be because I was so early.  Had more bllod work done 2 days later and HCG was 7555.  Then I started having very heavy red blood that lasted 1 hour.  Had a pelvic and they said my cervix was closed.  They just told me it could go either way and it was a waiting game.  Unfortunaly, my family doc is away, so I've been dealing with ER doctors, and they dont do any kind of follow up.  I just don't know what to think.  Can anyone offer any advice??
Hello, my best friend experienced the same thing early in her pregnany, her water even started leaking (on my couch) when she was only about 3-4 months, and she has a healthy baby boy, that was born December 30th.  In addition my sister experienced this too, she was working and went to go to the rest room, only to notice that her chair was covered with blood, lot's of blood......well her son just turned 5 a few weeks ago.  Now my best friend was put on bed rest, and my sister wasn't, so don't give up hope, these things happens sometimes...........wishing you a blessed, safe, happy, and healthy 9 months
I am experiencing similar, can someone help? I went  in for some spotting on Wed, and they did the hcg level and it was 668.7 then went back in 2 days and it was 563. Is there any chance of still a baby? or only a miscarriage? I thought it would half every 2 days if miscarring or double if good, im just trying to hold on to hope and if anyone has any info for me please let me know. Thanks
you said you hcg level was 668.7 and then it was 563 2 days later... do you have any updates?  i hope you got some good news!!!

i am currently going through the same thing and it is killing me!... went to the dr. on 4/2 b/c of cramps & spotting.  ultrasound indicated gestational sac measured at 4 wks, 1 day (no yolk or fetal pole).  quantitative hcg level was 3731.  went back on 4/9 for a 2nd ultrasound and measured at 4 wks, 0 days (still no yolk or fetal pole).  hcg level had decreased to 3518.  my dr. assumed i have a blighted ovum and offered to do a d&c.  my fiance' and i decided to wait.  i am wondering if there is ANY CHANCE there is still a viable pregnancy since my hcg level dropped.  i have read that a fading twin could cause a decrease in hcg level... although i know it's not likely, i guess i can't help but hope that is the case with me.  this not knowing is killing me!!!  

has anyone else had decreased hcg levels and still had a healthy baby???
Hi I am 6 weeks pregnant, I went to my doctor they did a U/S but only saw a sack abut no baby and heartbeat.  My first hcg blood work showed my levels at 6,500 and after the ultasound he made me to do more blood work to see if my levels were rising, this time the hcg level was 41,000.  So what does this mean?  And is this preg viable?
I'm 39 and found out having 4th baby. HCG levels at first appt were673, two weeks later they are at 15,087. Doctor is concerned because they are not doubling. Had ultrasound last week and couldn't find hb. Just had one today and still no hb, but they could see the fetal pole. Doctor thinks I should start planning for the worst, but I'm not bleeding or cramping. I go back in two days for another ultrasound. Should I plan for the worse, what does this all mean for my baby. Never had any of this with my 3 other kids. My problem has been getting pregnant, not staying pregnant. Just looking for some answers. I feel like the doctor just wants me tho think the worse.
I am 6 weeks pregnant. My levels first measured 2073, with an US at 4wks with no fetal pole or hb. Doctors were suspicious because they thought they should see something after 1500 level, did another blood test two days later and it was only 2300, another 2 days later, 3400. I had an US on Saturday and low and behold there is a fetal pole and hb with a normal sac. I had another HCG level done yesterday (5 days after last one) and it's only 4300! I have a history of miscarriages and my last full term pregnancy (3rd child) had to be progesterone supported. The ob is saying things are still progressing, because the levels are rising, the fetus is developing and I have no bleeding or cramping. I think that it's an eventual miscarriage - how can it be viable with such low rising numbers??? Anybody out there have a successful outcome in similar circumstances?
How far were you when you had your u/s? My doc told me you can't find a heart beat on an u/s until 7 or 8 weeks gestation.
I can relate to your fears. I have three kids and miscarried baby #4 at 14 weeks, which was the last thing I expected to happen. Got pregnant after waiting for one period and now 10 weeks along.
I am new here, but I really need some reassurance.  I went to the doctor on Monday and had bloodwork done, my Progesterone was low (8.1) so I was placed on supplements to help sustain the pregnancy.  At that time, my HCG level was 133.  
Today, after re-testing the levels, they had only increased to 199.  My MD is not very reassuring.  

I demanded an ultrasound as I had my Right Tube and Ovary removed just this February and cannot risk an ectopic pregnancy, for that would be the end of my child-bearing. It didn't show anything in my uterus or my tube.  Too early.

I have an 8 year old daughter from a previous marriage, but my current husband has no children of his own.  We want this baby so badly.  As far as our dates are concerned, I could either be 3 or 4 weeks along.

It is now 1:43 am and sleep is the last thing on my mind.  I have had 3 previous miscarriages, I have epilepsy which is well controlled and I am on safe medications.  I also have some congenital heart defects.  High risk is putting it lightly...

Help?
Alison
hi everyone i am 6 weeks pregnant and my hcg levels are 11667. they are basically tripling every 48 hours. but my problem is my progesterone is at 7.3 but my dr put me on prometrium 2x a day at 200 mg. i was wonderin if anyone has had the same problem and had a viable pregnancy. im really scared i will lose the pregnancy. please help.
Hi well not that I am happy for everyone on here with your concerns but it helps to see others are having the same questions and concerns as I am. I am7 1/2 weeks and I am having alot of bleeding that lasts 2-3 hours then spotting for a couple of days then bleeding again heavily then spotting again I have been to the emeg room and have had blood tests 4 times my hcg levels are going up but not doubling in the 48 hours time fram the doc seemed concerned,should I be? I had the ultrasound done 4 times and all 4 time a strong fetal heartbeat was detected but she has me now thinking miscarriage since in the past 48 hours it hasn't went up alot I am scared I am going for another ultrasound on manday and I guess we will see. It's this bleeding that is weird I don't know why i am bleeding or where it's coming from. Let me know if you've ever heard of anything like this before.
Kim
well im having almost the same problem as you ^. I thought i was around 7 to 8 weeks, I started bleeding on Wed and went to the ER and they did a transvaginal and and ultrasound and no heartbeat was detected.They also said that the measurement indicated that i wa around 6 weeks, does this mean there is  no hope  or simply, the baby hasnt gotten that far yet? The ER nurse said  my hCG level was   560, is that low for being 6 weeks?? Now my nurse said to follow up with my ob/gyn on fri and i did and she  told me that my levels had risen to 732.... so it didnt double in 48 hours.i go ack on mon to do another check for my levels and another ultrasound.... so i dont really know what my question is, im  just kinnda scared, because im ob/gyn said there was a 90% chance i am going to have a miscarriage, but my levels  are going up.... but im still bleeding, but not heavy at all. I havent had cramps or any signs of a misscarriage, except for the bleeding. I gues you and i will kinnd hve to pray for each other on mon, being that we both kinnda find out on the same day.
well i think if you're only 6 weeks it's just too early to detect the heartbeat so don't give up hope and you're not bleeding so that's good my bleeding id finally nothing this morning. the hcg thing is different for everyone i think. Good luck and I will pray for you and you do the same for me. Hope all goes well.
well i went to the ob/gyn this morning and she told me that there is a miscarriage taking place, the sac has started to colapse and since i have not passed the baby yet, i will have  to get a DNC done. So this morning wasnt full of good news, i hope your morning went better then mine.
I am so sorry to hear your bad news i feel for you I just went through it a couple of months ago don't worry it's hard right now but it will get better and I only had to wait for 2 periods after the dnc to try right away and I did and it worked, good luck to you for your future trying and again I am so sorry. Everything is okay so far for me.
I am pregnant with my third Child , But this pregnancy has been scary from day one . I had taken a preg test 3 weeks ago , Ok well I actually took 8 test and they all came back postitve and I called my Ob and they did a US and didn't find anything , So I had to go for another the next day and still didn't find anything , So I was fusterated and I went and bought 2 more test and they still came back positive ... I went for blood work Early today and went for a appointment with the OB and they did yet another US and still no baby , But they did a US to see if it was a tube baby and it wasn't there either . But the blood test came back I am pregnant . But my levels where low they said and I have been cramping for like 2 weeks , But no blood . I am suppose  to be 7 weeks Is what the test results are saying . But I am so upset and confused , Is there anyone who can tell me anything ?
I found out I was seven weeks pregnant on 04/09/07.  Doctor did not do an ultra sound but did a pelvic exam and blood and urine work.  on 05/14/2007 I was scheduled to see a specialist for maternal and Fetus medicine and when they did the ultra sound nothing, they proceeded to a vaginal ultrasound and then told me that the baby did not have a heartbeat and it appeared that the fetus died at 9 wks.  I am scheduled to go in for a D&C on tommorrow.  I am just not sure.  I am now questioning if I was ever pregnant.  I had been trying for 7 years with no luck and out of the blue I got pregnant only to be told that the fetus had died.  Please someone help me to figure this out.
I am 7 weeks suposely & I woke this morning and spotting, so i went to the doctors, the did a ultrasounds both internal and external and found nothing there. so, she gave me a urine pregnacy test and was a faint postive which it wasnt when i did a home test two weeks ago. So, she did blood work to check the Hcg levels and i have to go back again in a couple days for another blood test. She said I am most likely having a miscarriage, but if she cant see anything then how does she know. I have been having light slimey looking blood but nothing heavy or clots or anything. I am also having so lights cramps. I dont know what to think now. This is my 5th child. If anyone out there can help shed some light I would greatly appreciate it... I am confused because I would think she would at least see something in the ultrasound right? could it be eptopic? help?
My husband and I finally started fertility treatments after 2 yrs of trying to conceive, and we recently went through our 1st IUI... insemination procedure on Easter 4/8.  We were not expecting it to "take" the first try, but it did.  Much to my surprise, I found out I was pregnant on 4/23.  Since that time we have been on a rollacoaster ride.  At first my hcg levels were doubling every 2 days.  They tested me a Mon, Wed, and Fri.  Then, they began to be concerned when my numbers went up but were not doubling.  They were worried about an ectopic pregnancy so they did the 1st u/s at 5 wks.  Dr. saw sac in the uterus, but still believed there was a possibility of one in the tube also.  When my numbers continued to rise but at a slower rate, they decided to continue to monitor the bloodwork, progestrone levels, and repeat an u/s at 6 wks.  Dr. took me off of the prometrium.  Dr. did u/s at 6ks... embryo smaller than normal and no heartbeat.  He advised us to go ahead and schedule a d&c for last Thurs.  I went in for the d&c, they put me under and when I woke up the Dr. told me they couldn't do the procedure b/c they found a heartbeat!  The Dr. immediately told me to not get excited that they still feel the pregnancy is not viable.  I am devistated.  Not only about the pregnancy, but about thinking that at least we'd have some closure.  Now I am in limbo-land.  I go back tomorrow... 1 wk later for the Dr. to do yet another u/s to see if there is still a heartbeat.  He keeps saying that I will have to wait until there is no longer a heartbeat before they can do anything.  I am so scared that this is going to continue indefinitely.  I feel fine physically, and I am basically a positive person.  I know they keep saying the chances are slim that this could still end up as an "ok" pregnancy, but miracles happen.  I can't go through every day expecting the worst.  Can anyone out there offer any advice or any personal experiences that have been similiar???
I would appreciate it, really!
Hi all!  I'm new to this site...so here's my scenario!  I tested positive on blood pregnancy test 2 weeks ago.  the first week was great with no issues.  Last wednesday I started to spot lightly,  I went in for an internal u/s and nothing because I wasn't far enough along.  They told me that my cervix was closed and the endometrium was thick indicating early pregnancy. They sent me for a hcg test.  I was supposed to go back on Saturday to get the follow-up test.  At 4am, I started bleeding heavily like a normal period with small clots and all (which is very normal for my cycle).  I still went to get the levels and they had doubled and continued to double on Monday.  So needless to say, I was feeling optimistic and just assumed that I was having my period during pregnancy which I understand is more common that I thought.  Well, on Monday night, I passed a clot that was large about palm size.  I of course just assumed that it was over and was devistated.  I then went this morning for more blood work and my numbers continue to double about every 3 days.  I just don't know what to think.  My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 6 years.  This is our first pregnancy.  We are on an emotional roller coaster.   After looking at many of these websites, my optimism is fading quickly.  My levels although doubling seem very low in comparison to others. What does this mean?  I'm trying to be hopeful while preparing myself for the worst.  Is there anyone who has been in this same boat???  It's now Thursday and I have to wait until next Tuesday before I get an u/s.  They are hoping that there will be something to see to either give me hope or closure.  Any advice???

Tara
Wow, what stories to share.  I wanted to let you know my story - there is nothing wrong with hoping!

I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks.  Shortly their after I started bleeding and went to the ER.  I hadn't even had a chance to see my own dr. yet.  At the ER the dr. said that he saw a sac, but no baby.  I got my HCG levels checked and they were not as high as he had hoped.

The next day I was to see my own dr.  Before I was even examined the nurse and dr. told me to prepare myself becuase I was going to miscarry.  I was so upset, that was the last thing I was expecting to hear.  They still did not see a heartbeat that day, so I came back the next week and the next week.

At 7 weeks they had a heartbeat!!!!!  They were wrong!!!

My son, just celebrated his first birthday last month so please keep the hope.  If it is one thing I learned from the expereince I had with my son, it is that they really are still flying very blind when it comes to pregnancy and birth.  No one really knows when it is going to happen or what is going to happen.

I wish you all the best of luck with your pregnancies.

Proud Mommy to Connor
Hello all.  I am unsure of how many weeks I am but my hCG levels my doc said was around 40. And with my past history of two misscarriages this looks bleek. I am a hopeful person but scared and he wants me to come in on monday for another test and I am hopeing my levels go up so far I am still pregnant I hope to stay that way. Are levels this low Really really bad. My doctor is giving me the run around and I have no one to talk to.
i am 5 weeks pregnant and my hcg levels are as follows:  first test was 105, 72 hours later it was 235, 24 hours later it was 334, and 24 hours later it was 521.  since they are not doubling every 24 hours, my OB says it is not a viable pregnancy and i may miscarry or have an eptoptic pregnancy.  I have had 2 children already with no problems, is it possible that this could be completely normal and the pregnancy could follow through?  i've read that it is normal if hcg levels double ever 24 to 72 hours but my OB seems doubtful.
Hello everyone!!!! I am so glad that I found this site.....I just found out a few weeks ago that I was pregnant....I was shocked because I had to have IVF w/ our daughter and the Dr.'s had told me that I could not get pregnant on my own....As of today I am 7 weeks....Last monday 5-15, when I had an US they did not find a heartbeat.....so I went back Thursday and my HCG level had dropped by about 3500....My Dr. is concrened about this so I go back in a couple of weeks,5-30 to have another US done.....I know that this is a long time to wait but my daughter who is three is having surgery on 5-23 of this week and I will be at the hospital with her until Fri.so I am unable to have one done any sooner than that....I have been very worried since my HCG level had dropped and not doubled....I have not experienced any bleeding or cramping at this point.....I was wondering do you think this could be because of a vanishing twin....My daughter had a vanishing twin around 8 weeks.....Has anyone ever had a decrease in their HCG level and still had a normal pregnancy.....Also, I have read all of your postings and each and everyone of you will be in my prayers....God Bless All of You and Goodluck!!!!
well i have had 7 tests 2 were blood one of the tests was an 8 and the other test was a 8.1 between 5 days apart and i have had 5 urine tests all were positive but one the doctor in my home town told me that i am in my first trimester and i have to go get a ultrasound because its been so complicated with two different doctors one telling me i had a miscarriage and one saying that i am not and is it regular to get a period every month that is so light that nothing really comes out while ur pregnant i just want answers this is my first and i get all the signs and symptoms feel sick weight gain and i am already showing at 2 and a half months an i am always hungry never want to stop eating can anyone tell me what to do please i just want to know what to do because it has been so confusing to know if i am pregnant or not to know if there is a life inside of me growing can anyone help???
Hello again,

I just found out that my levels triple,I believe I am 5 weeks pregnant and my first test was friday at 39 and now my level went up to 108, I am very excited and hopeful. I am approaching the time where I believe my last two miscarriages occured I am trying to not stress abd just relax and go with the flow. I believe in positive thinking and prayer for myself. I wish everyone a healthy pregnancy, and a healthy baby including myself. This is an awesome outlet to have available thanks.
Hi, I am about 8 or 9 weeks pregnant.  About a week and a half ago on a Wednesday, I started spotting.  I assumed that it was from having sex, which I know can cause some spotting at times, so we stopped and it seemed to get better until Friday, then it got a little heavier with a slightly browning blood discharge.  I went to the doctor on Tuesday and she said that it looked like old blood and everything looked fine but scheduled and ultrasound for the next day.  After that initial visit though, I started to bleed more and the blood changed to a bright red the next day I had the ultrasound and saw the baby and heartbeat and everything looked fine, although I was still bleeding at the time and even stained the sheets during the ultrasound. Since then have been bleeding heavier (but only about 1 pad a day heavy) and on Sunday I started passing some blood clots about the size of my pinky finger.  I went back to the doctor this Monday and they examined me again and did blood work to determine if I am having a miscarriage which is what they seem to be thinking. My doctor called today and said that my hcg level is at 52000, and that it was a very good number, I have to go tommorrow and take my second blood test to compare the two, she said that it looks promising, since my level was still high, but doesn't really know why I could be bleeding for so long and if it doesn't stop withing a week or two I will have another u/s to check for hemoraging. The bleeding still scares me alot, this is my fourth pregnancy, and I never bleed at all for any of the others.  Has any one else bleed this long and still had a healthy pregnancy?
First time here. But I'm going through the same thingd. I searched on the web for something or some one to help me copy and understand. I found out I was preg on 5-5-07 went to urgent care 5-6-07 just didn't fill right my. They took urine test came back positive but didn't see any thing on u/s. No fetal sack. Told to follow up in ob. Went on 5-11-07 levels were 150 no sack could be seen on u/s. Went back on 5/14, 5/18 and then 5/22 my levels had just reached 3500-4000 (I was crying so i don't recall exact level. Still no sack to be seen. The doctors thought that my levels would have started to drop by now. I go back on 5/25. This has been a nightmare for me and my husband. Toghter for 18 years with this being the 3rd preg and only 1 child 6 yrs who i had no earlier preg problems with. He was born at 26 weeks(can't tell that now). We really want this to be a viable preg. our families keep telling us the baby is hiding and will come out when it's ready. They don't understand how hard this is on us. When do you call it quits. I go to dr 2x a week and give blood and u/s my levels keep going up but no sack thelining of the uteras is growing like it is ready to support a preg. I have had 7 pregs with this one and only one birth I don't know if I can keep on going like this for much longer. I'm glad I found this site so that I don't feel alone any more and all of you will be in my prayers. May your hopes and dreams come to life.
hi...you can read my posts in the pregnancy forums.  i was in the same situation.  multiple miscarriages. they told me i had blighted ovum cuase i was supposed to be further according to lmp.  started bleeding red and brown, very bad cramping...then it all stopped.  my hcg levels hit 59000 5 days after ultrasound.  went in 2 weeks after first u/s and there was a baby with a strong heartbeat.  try not to stress out.  my docs had told me i did miscarry but were confused with high hcg levels....well i proved them wrong.  and i think the baby will be seen when it's good and ready:)  i've heart that women with a tilted uterus may also have more problems sighting an early pregnancy, mine is tilted but i'm not sure how true that is.  keep your head up... keep me posted, maybe you'll be like me and just not be as far as you thought.... don't rely on lmp or ovulation date...i got prego around the day my period was due!!!
i am new to this site. i was searching for some insight on my problem. i am 7 wks pregnant tomarrow. this is my second pregnancy..i had a miscarriage the first time. i miscarried at 12 wks that happened about a year ago. i recently found out that i am pregnant again and i am very scared. i keep having this light brown slimey discharge. it isnt there all day but sometimes when i go to the restroom it is there. i went about 5 days and didnt see it at all but then today it was there. tomarrow i go to the dr for my first appt. i already called them and asked them about it and i am goin to have an U/S tomarrow. has anyone else had this slimey light brwon discharge?
hi...you may have read some of my previous posts in this and other forums.  i too had the slimy brown discharge.  it was sometimes just when i wiped and sometimes it came as heavy as a period.  it was light tan one day then dark brown, then red brown...it was crazy.  everything i read told me that brown discharge was a sign of miscarriage and even my docs were convinced that's what was happening to me.  well i proved them wrong when i got my ultrasound and a baby with a good heartbeat were seen clear as day. i'm now in about my 10th week.  i spotted those colors and bled between 5-7 weeks then it all just went away.  i took it very easy for about 5 days and didn't have sex for about 2 weeks.  now i have no problems.  they said it was a blighted ovum....and that brown discharge meant miscarriage.  well try to keep optimistic.  maybe you will be as lucky as me...i sure hope you are... keep me posted.  take care:)
Thank you for your kind words but I was not as luck as you were. They found the baby in my left tube on 5/25/07. There is no hope for this one. So now I have 6 babies in heaven and 1 with me. I do not know if I will try again or not yet. I wish you the best in your pregnancy. Thank you again.
I'm new to this site but hoping someone out there could possibly help? By my dates I should be nearl 7wks but bled 2weeks ago and was sent for ultrasound and they found nothing but an internal scan showed something of 2mm inside- obviously too small to tell what though! I've had my bloods checked and my hcg levels are rising gradually, 1st=118 2nd=138 3rd=143 miscarriage ruled out but dr's are saying could be ectopic/ failing pregnancy, So many sites/ and people i've spoken to are saying that even tho levels are low there is still a chance of the pregnancy progressing and having a healthy baby- is there anyone else out there having same probs? If so would love to hear from you!!
I have been searching all morning and reading everything I can find when I found this site.  I've read all of the comments and finally, I dont feel so alone!  I'm 6 weeks and 1 day pregnant, or that is what the u/s states.  I have had 2 u/s the last two weeks.  The last one was yesterday ( when I was 6 weeks along).  Immediately, I was put in panic mode because they were looking and asked if I had spotted or bled and I havent.  The tech said she could still see a sac but no baby and no heartbeat.  They drew blood to check the levels and they will do it again in a week for a comparison.  My dr. told me not to worry and to just wait and see, but this is torture.  From reading the comments I see that there are alot of women who are in exactly the same boat that I am in, so why do the medical professionals make us worry if this is not a rare occurence?  Isnt it possible that next week they will see a baby and a heartbeat?
I just got off of the phone with the dr.'s office and I really dont know whether what they told me was positive or not.  The nurse said that my hcg level was  "a little over 8000" and I'm measuring 6 weeks and 1 day pregnant.  I've read so many things on the levels and I know that they vary so is that a good level or not?
I too have had an early ultrasound and been told no heartbeat and check your levels and eas at 63,418. and should be 9 - 10 weeks lmp and was told I am 6 weeks 1 day, so I go in one week for an ultrasound again to see if there is a heartbeat and check my levels every other day. Any questions ask.
if my wife is 4 weeks pregnant and has short light red bleeding that is heavy and nothing else. then test positive on a test. but the bleeding is around the same time as her period, but irregular. what could this mean
HI every one, i hope some one can shed some light on this matter for me.

I had a MC last September and have been trying since. My LMP was 14th May 07, after this i had prolonged brown discharge, this then stopped for several days, then started again with a small amount of blood, i then took HPT and to my surprise it was positive (thought this was strage as i really only just had a period 10/11 days prior).

I had HCG levels take on tuesday and they were 168.00,then repeated on friday they were then 312.40. I also had an vaginal u/s on the same day and there was no sign of pregnancy.

The doctoe doing the ultra sound said that my hormones could be playing tricks on me, i feel that this could not be the case after rising HCG levels and 5 HPT.

I am still loosing brown discharge and a very small amount of blood when i wipe.

has any body had similar experiences?? would love to have some feed back as really confused and want nothing more then to have a healthy pregnancy and baby.
I found out on May 25 that i was pregnant, we have been trying for almost two years taking the clomid and doing the ovulation testing.  In Jan we found out we were pregnant and in feb we lost our baby.  My levels were very low in the last pregnancy.  This pregnancy started out with a low HCG level of 170 on tuesday(4 weeks 6 days), on thursday it has risen to 505(5 weeks 1 day).  My doctor stated to me that he likes to see a 60% increase in levels in a 48 hour time period.  My levels have risen almost 300%, my doctor also could see where two eggs were released during my last ovulation.  Could that mean twins?  Has anyone else had this happen to them and what was the result.  If you have please email me blew_eyes_77***@****.  Thanks Kristina
Same thing just after tubal ligation?
Well, I think I'm the first wanna-be-dad here. My wife and I have been trying to have a child for over 1 year. She has a daughter from a previous relationship, and we decided it was time to have another one.
Last Friday she did the pharmacy test and it was positive (first day of last period was May 1st),and blood exam detected hcg at 120. I cannot describe the feeling. I was on heaven. On Sunday she detected low amounts of brown discharge, and some cramps. Went to ER and the doctor said it might be a miscarriage, since the levels of hcg were too low (around 170). She did a blood exam today again, and  the anxiety is horrible. The results will come only tomorrow!
I came here just to say I'm praying for all of you, since this feeling of not knowing if you're pregnant or not is absurd. I have never felt something like this, AND I'M ONLY THE DAD! I can't imagine how my wife is feeling inside.
So, best luck to all of you!
I am glad there is forums like this for me but it puts me on a up and down rollercoaster as to have hope or not... as I found out I was pregnant and am now SOPPOSE to be 5 weeks preg from my lmp .. well I was spotting on and off all the 4 week then last weekend I had light blood with a clot passing the size of a dime?  .. hmm I got real scared but then the blood stopped and then started up again 2 day later.. I got a blood test today and my hcg level was high she said I believe 200 but my progesterone was normal?  the doctor said he would like to see it higher... should I have hope or what?  I really want this baby more than anything right now and I never had problems with my first and second.. this is the most nerve wrecking thing I have ever experienced?
So happy to find this site!! Googling like mad for answers. Here is my scenario.  HPT on May 18th a hard positive, Dr HCG levels on May 25th 109,000. HCG levels taken on May 30th show a decrease to 89,000.  Of course having had 2 previous misscaraiges this sent me into a near panic.  Not again. Did alot of hoping and praying over the weekend, to be able to make it to ultrasound on Monday June 4th. Well low and hehold there is a 10 week little bean moving and wiggling with a wonderful heartbeat of 165. I am waiting for the Dr to call me back once he reviews the "official" results.  But he was shocked as all heck when i told him what i saw on the scan.  Dare i hope this will turn out ok? Could things still be doom and gloom because of the drop in HCG? Has anyone had this? All this time i was thinking i couldnt be more then 7 weeks along and they say i am 10.  Rollercoaster ride seems a bit of an understatement. I want to be so happy and excited but am afraid to do that. Please help!
Hi.I found out i was pregnant after taking infertility drugs. On the 4th week i had a little bit of bleeding and after that some small brown spots. Went to the doctor who did a ultraso.He saw a little sac and check my HCg levels. Next day called me and said the levels were dropping. I started crying all day. After that he did a sonog.for about 2 weeks. The sac was the same size. He saw a second sac just a couple of seconds and said to check next time cause it was to far. Next time we didn't see it no more. The HCG levels were dropping and raising but still were low.But the doctors concern was the sac that was not growing.I dont know what to think. Can this happen next time?
My wife and I did IVF and had a postive test. On Monday our hcg level was 1223 and today (Wednesday) the levels were 1940. They did not double in a 48 hour span. Is this reason for concern we are going back on Friday
frrea
I am 27 years old and I do not know what to do I am really scared.  I have to healthy babies now 7 and 3.  I had a normal period on April 6.  I was supposed to get my period on May 6, but I did not until May 21.  It was not a normal period it was very light. Like many others on here it has gone from red to light brown to pink to dark brown slimey.  It is not heavy and sometimes it stops and sometimes it is only there when I wipe.  Sometimes it is on my pad and not when I wipe. I have PCOS ( polycystic ovarian syndrome)  Whatever that is worth.  I took a pregnancy test then another then another till I got to my 6th one that came out positive and they were very dark readings. I went to the doctor today and they said they could not see anything because it could be too early.  I have a very cold doctor who tells me it could be a miscarriage it could be an ectopic so don't doing anything or your can rupture it and have internal bleeding.  So now i am scared to death.  He basically said my baby will die or I will die.  They took some blood to do an HCG they said they would call me back today. But I guess they forgot because they never called me back.  Then I have to go again on friday so they can compare the two.  I am just really scared I do not know what to do or think.. Do I think that hey this could all turn out fine or should I expect the worse.  I has take me a while to get pregnant with my two babies that i have now.  They said that it could me a miscarriage or ectopic.  Is there a chance that I am going to die.  What are signs that I have to look for.  I really need help or some support.  Please pray for me.
Dear Carolina mommy,
                                    First i have to say that i may rethink who your Dr is. Compassion is of utmost importance i believe. There are ways of giving what can be bad news without it comming out as it did.  I wouldn't be so sure that all is doom and gloom, and i know just how you are feeling having and still being there myself. Take a deep breath and relax as much as you can. Easier said then done to be certain!! I have never had an ectopic but i do know one of the major signs to watch for are abdominal pain, or pelvic pain. Perhaps it was too early to detect anything, so don't give up yet. I too have PCOS and have always had issue determining just when conception occured.  Have had spotting and a "different" kind of period while in the first trimester, and also gone on to be fine, not every time, but 2 times all was well. Keeping all fingers crossed and prayers sent your way. Hopefully Friday you will get a better answer and clearer picture.

Hopeful1 ( just noticed i typed my nic wrong when i registered..ooops)
I am 6 weeks pregnant today at week 5 - 1st June hcg levels were 9000 the next test on the 04th June the levels were 24000 on the 06th June they were 32600 so they have not doubled, is this a problem.
I had a vaginal ultrasound done at 5.5wks but only saw 3 sacs nothing else?
I'm only a possible dad, and I can understand you when you say your Dr treated you in cold blood. My wife and I are also having a hard time dealing with doctors: some give the worst scenario (ER doctors...), some don't give ANY scenario (GO, after 4 blood exams). To make things worst, our family is 10000 miles away from us, and I can't skip work to spend more time with my wife.
She is on her 5th week, 3 pharmacy test came positive, but hcg levels are not doubling, although progesterone levels are good.
My wife had some brown spots on Sunday, and yesterday she got some brown flux.
We kind of lost our hope, and right know I just hope my wife will turn out to be ok (physically, because psychologically we are both devastated).
I wish all the luck and send good thought for you all.
I was supposed to get a phone call last night which was Thursday they said they would call me before they closed.  Needless to say no phone call.  I called them this morning to see the results of my blood work for the HCG.  I called left a message at 8:30  called back again at 2:30 still not call.  By now my husband was quite upset and he called.  I think it worked cause they called me back immediately.  My levels are 332 I have to go today to get blood work again and hopefully they will double.  I am just on a roller coaster ride I think more emotionally then anything else.  I am still spotting they keep saying that is could be implantation bleeding.  I wish they would figure it out so I am nut guessing.  I am paying they a small fortune to guess also.  Like my husband always says they do not know what they are doing they are practicing medicine. They still did not perfect it.  Well I will let you know more tomorrow.  Please pray for me and I will be praying for everyone of you.  Try to keep hope up crazier things have happened.
i was told that my pregnancy test only showed a weak positive but my blood kept doubling for about a week i was bleeding all this time and at the end was told my hormone levels were droping i was devestated my doc said it was a molar pregnancy
Ok well I am back again today.  I had my other blood work done and the firsts test was a 332 and now it is a 498.  I know they are not doubling like they should but one doctor said as long as the numbers are going up and not down that is a good sign they I have another nurse tell me that  it looks like an unhealthy pregnancy.  I wish everyone would get on the same page and be able to give me an answer.  Please help someone.
Thank yall for your posts as they have helped me to keep the faith and think positively. I found out last Sat. (6/03) that I am pregnant (took 4 home preg tests). This is my first pregnancy so I don't know quite what to expect. I called my ob/gyn on Mon. morning because I kept having that "going to start" feeling but not painful, and I was lightly spotting pinkish and sometimes brown with no clots or tissue in it. The doctors office got me in right away and took my blood to check my hcg and also did a vag. ultrasound and didn't see anything. The ultrasound showed I was 5w 1d from lmp. The results of my hcg were 12,000! My OB asked if I would come back on Wed. (6/06) for another lab draw and ultrasound. Went in last Wed. & when the tech did the ultrasound she saw a gestational sac and a yolk sac (which wasn't there on Mon.) but couldnt figure out why my hcg was so high. I know for a fact I am not further along than 6 weeks. The results of my Wed. hcg level was 20,000 and the doctor thinks that this might be a non-viable pregnancy. I have another ultrasound scheduled for next Wed (6/13) and I should be around 6w 3d then. Yesterday I had bright red spotting that lasted around 5 minutes with no clots or cramping. I called my doctor and they said to stay off my feet as much as possible until my appointment. No more spotting since then. Not sure what to think. Is it possible for this to be a non viable preg when they spotted a gest sac and yolk sac last week and my hcg is climbing? They seem to be soooo worried about the hcg being so high and them not hearing a heartbeat. They don't think I'm having twins. Has anyone been through anything similar? Sorry for the long blog.
Is anyone out there that is familiar with or maybe experienced the same situation as me? (see above post)
Ok I had another blood test today and it is 936 it is not doubling every 48 it is more like 72.  But they said that it is very reassuring that it is going up I am feeling a whole lot happier now.  I have to go back for one last test on Wednesday.  What does my HCG level have to be to see anything on a US I will still continue to pary for ya'll.
I need help if anyone can provide some. I am pregnant once again, my first was a stillborn at 36 weeks. I have had one miscarriage since then. So third times a charm I guess. When I first got my blood tests done, my HCG levels were at 2100, 10 days later they rose to 18,000. I am supposed to be in my 7th week and they still have not found a heartbeat. They tested my levels again and I am now up to 28,000. The doctors have told me that there is a 90% chance that this pregnancy will fail as well due to the heartbeat. I have done nothing but worry since I got pregnant and now I have to wait another week for another ultrasound to see if they see something. Has this happened to anyone else?
It is truely amazing to me the amount of women (and men) having such similar situations! I can understand the perspective of the MDs helping each of us. Each situation is so individualized that it is not definative for anyone.The MDs try to prepare us for the worst, but the shred of light is what, in turn, drives the ones it occurs to INSANE!!! I am too in the same quandrey. After being told 12 years ago, after my last laparoscopy for endometrosis, plan on never having children. Finally, at 40 years old, I am "maybe" 5-7 weeks pregnant, to EVERYONES amazement.(I did have a MC when I as 32ish) We attended my first pre-natal visit, thinking we were 8ish weeks, the US gave a different time frame.  We visualized, was "normal" 5 week gastational embryo. Fetal pole,yolk sac, etc..But, this concerned my OB/GYN ( who is a friend of mine and my S.O) She asked if we could really be off that far from our estimation? She suggested to do the blood test for hGc levels. The first level came back at 17200, on june 7, then on june 9th the levels rose to 19800, but obviously not doubled. I was upset, but figured better to find out now, instead of 7 months later. My background is molecular biology(genetics) prenatal diagnosis and RNFA in surgery, so trying to maintain medically practical.hahahah The OB in the office said to prepare for a MC and if it was during eve or night to go to the ER. The next day, I was in surgery with my OB and she said DO NOT do anything drastic...again giving that hope that just kills!!! I have another US june 22. No cramping, bleeding nothing. I never had morning sickness, still fatigued, headaches, I am showing and continuing to gain weight, yippy on that one. So we sit in limbo like so many others on this page! My heart goes out to everyone that has unanswered questions and the uncertainty of it all. The Master Physician has plans for all of us born or not.
Hi! I am 6weeks and 4days pregnant. I had my 1st ultrasound yesterday and we could see the sac, but nothing else. The doctor sent me for my HG levels and they came back at 3000. He said that he was fine with this number but wants me to go back tomorrow to see if there is an increase. This is my second pregnancy. My daughter is 2yrs old now. I don't know what to do with my self. I am so nervouse that something is wrong with this pregnancy, but I feel pregnant. I am feeling sick throughout the day and my breast hurt. What could be going on? The doctor says not to be concerned, but how can I not be. Am I suppose to be excited or am I suppose to be crying. My prayers are with everyone. Please pray for me too.
Hello everyone.  If you are like me you are finding a bunch of sad stories and not so many with a happy ending.  My assumption is that people with happy endings abandon the sites that they clung to during hard times and never came back to tell their stories.  I am urging everyone with positive results to come back and post their stories to help everyone who is currently experiencing the anxiety we were once in.  
I found out I was pregnant on 1/1/07.  By 1/3/07 i was spotting, mostly brown but it did have some red in it.  This continued through the entire month of January.  I went on 1/3 for my first blood test which said my pregnancy was viable, however the second blood test showed that my hcg only went up 20%.  My doctor told me that there was a small chance everything would be fine but to expect a miscarriage.  She said to go get an u/s no earlier than 7 weeks otherwise nothing would show up anyway.  I went at what i thought was 7 weeks 1 day and saw the heartbeat.  I called the doctor who said that despite the bleeding the heartbeat voided all blood test results and I now had a normal pregnancy.  I am now 29 weeks pregnant with a normal healthy baby boy.
I know it seems like everyday goes by so slow but once you feel the baby move the days will go by so fast.  
Good Luck to all expecting moms and dads!
I have been searching, googling, etc., like a crazy person to try and make some sense of my situation.  Thank you so much for all of your stories, although I know when it comes down to it, each of our bodies and experiences are different and  what ever is supposed to happen will, but it is still comforting to hear other's experiences.

Here is my story:  I found out I was pregnant 6/1 after missing my period (due May28th) and frantically taking 3 HPT's.  I was totally shocked when they all came back positive, as this is my first Preg., and we weren't trying.  I went in to my doctor 6/5 to confirm the HPT's and  receievd confirmation with levels about 1500.  According to the chart, I was 6 weeks, but I think I was only around 5.  On 6/14 I had some very faint, light brown spotting, mostly after wiping, but a tiny little bit was on my underwear as well, no cramping, but I called the doctor immediately.  I went in for an HCG test.  I recieved a call from my doc's office later that afternoon saying my HCG levels were only at 3,563, not where my doc. would like them to be.  They scheduled an u/s for the next day (6/15).  She wasn't able to see a defined sac and sadly told us that this was "not a good pregnancy' and didn't want to give us false hope.  I was devastated and cried the entire day.  Although she didn't see anything in my tubes or elsewhere on the U/S, she wanted to me to have my levels taken again on Monday (this am), to see which direction the pregnancy was going, The spotting completely stopped on 6/16  i went this am for my HCG levels.  i just found put they are at 3,685, only up a tiny bit.  Can anybody shed light on this? I keep reading about ectopic preg. and that slowly rising HCg is consistent with an EP.  I am so scared, I really wanted this baby and feel there is just no hope and I am trying to prepare myself for the worst. I love my doctor, but she seems so dismal, that there is no hope for a normal pregnancy, how long will it take to find this out, has anyone had the same thing happen? Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!
This is my story: Diagnosed w/ PCOD over a year ago. Been TTC for over 2 years now. Tried Clomid didn't work..went off clomid and found out I was pregnant then had my period the very next day Dr said it was a "chemical pregnancy" but said it was a good sign that I could get pregnant..then 6mo later got pregnant again...first HCG was 193 progest. 20 on monday on wednesday HCG was 367 prog 24..so it didn't double. Anyway at 8 weeks they did an U/S and it showed no Heartbeat..was devastated and had to do at D&C. --they sent the baby for testing and it was found to have trisomy 15 which my Dr said is very rare occurance. I just found out I am pregnant again LMP 5/19 and today went for HCG/Progesterone it was 200 and progest 17.7. I have to have it checked again in one week I am scared to death to go through what I had to before. Has anyone started out w/ lower HCG levels and had a successful pregnancy?
hi everybody i am very worried about my pregnency.cuz yesterday i did my ab ultrasound and they didnt find anything in my uterus.but its unbeleivable because i did my hcg and all the tests showed that i m preg .but u/s makes me feel worried and nervous .could this b happen.they said my uterus is also enlarged but they found nothing why is this?they said to repeat the scan after 14 days but i am vorried about this.pls if anybody face this type of problem pls pls tel me honestly
bye thanks
My first u/s at 3-4 weeks only showed thickening of my lining they said that until your HCG levels get to 1000 it won't show much of anything. Are you earlier in your pregnancy than they say? I know they always would tell me I was farther along than I was.
i am 5 weeks and my hcg is only 687 it was 789 on monday but on wendesday it was only 687 i am so worried oh God i don't want to lose this baby i love him/her so much already. please pray for me. did this happen to anyone
Hi found out i was pregnant last week gone from being on a high to a wreck i went in to hos sunday with bleedin and left sided pains they did my hormone levels they was 667 ..Did a scan and nothing in the womb just it thickening !!
Was told come back tues for more bloods did that they rose to 726 not very helpful was being told this was lookin as a failing pregnancy ..........Was rushed in to hos tues nite severe left sided pain they took me 4 a scan weds still nothing my last monthly was 13th of may makin me 5 weeks and 4 days pregnant i think ....... i was told that the bloods would be repeated today and a chance of a injection to abort the baby as they call it a pregnacy of unknown destination ....Well to my surprise my levels have rose to 1300 wat the chance of this being a ongoing pregnancy reading thru most comments u all could see a sac i cant even see that ... I have to go monday I am out of my mind with worry numbness dont no how to feel dont no wat to think please can some one who been in same situation contact me and let me no there out come even if it was the worse i need to no something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just want to post a happy scenario for all you mothers to be. I went in today and we finally found the heartbeat!!! I am a long way from being in the clear, but I want to give the rest of you with similar situations a little hope. Good luck to everyone!
woo hoo congratulation!!!  that heartbeat just got you a lot closer than you think!!  Im really excited for you!
Hi I am 25 yrs old and I had a medical miscarriage last month (May 15,2007). I had one brown spot on June 17 ,2007 and on June 18,2007 I had a bright red period that wasn't light but wasn't heavy either but it didn't smell like my usual period. On June 19th the bleeding had stopped... I had unprotected sex on June 3,2007 but I know I'm not pregnant. I do have frequent headaches,spitting,swollen feet,dizziness,back pain,nausea, and this is embarassing but I do have lots of gas. I heard these symptoms could also just be your cycle. I just wanted to know if this is my cylce trying to come back or what is going on I never had a regular period so I don't know what to expect and will it come back next month normal like 5-6 days instead 1-2 days like this month.(Note: please do not reply with judgemental opinions about my irresponsible decisions only apply if you may have been through a similiar situation or if your familiar about my situation, thanks in advance.....-----mercedes
A related discussion, scared to mc again was started.
A related discussion, HCG levels slowly rising was started.
A related discussion, high HCG levels was started.
A related discussion, Almost 5wks...at 4 weeks HCG at 367 was started.
A related discussion, am i miscarrying was started.