Pregnancy Expert Forum
pregnant/right upper quadrant pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

pregnant/right upper quadrant pain

For the last 1.5 weeks or so I have had some upper right quadrant pain.  It is a couple inches below right breast, under the rib cage.  It is more discomfort than pain.  When I push on the area, there's no tenderness.  Actually pressing helps, but I don't do it much b/c I don't know if it's good or bad.  If I stretch or lay down, or just lean to my left, it relieves the discomfort.  It feels to me like something (some part of baby?) is pressing into something there.  It does seem worse sometimes after I eat, regardless of what I eat.  And some days it does not bother me at all.  I don't really feel fetal movement in that area.  I am right at week 27so I wonder if it is just discomfort related to my uterus expanding?

I've got no nausea, vomiting, fever, back pain, high blood pressure, nothing.  Just this very persistent, dull pain/discomfort in this one very specific spot.  I know my liver and gallbladder are in that area, but what are the chances it is something like that?  I have a good diet and in very good health.
1 Comment
It could be your baby pushing on somthing or it could be gallbladder.  Make sure you tell your doctor.  I had pain in my rt upper quad when preg.  Mine was usually pain not just discomfort, it took about 4 weeks before I had a mild "attack" at work.  I walked down to OB/GYN  they checked the baby and sent me the next week for a GB (gallbladder) us.  Yep I had gallstones.  I continued to have attacks off/on the rest of my pregnancy.  I had surgery to remove it about 2 weeks after delivery.

Make sure you let your doctor know about this issue.