Pregnancy Expert Forum
severe back pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Caesarean Section , Childbirth, Diabetes, Depression, Fetal Monitoring, Genetic Testing, Hormonal Changes, Labor, Lamaze, Morning Sickness , Nutrition, Parenting, Prenatal Care, Weight gain.

severe back pain
I'm 11weeks and for about 3weeks straight I have been having bad back pain, it usually happens when I sit down for 10 minutes when I get up my back hurts really bad and takes awhile for it to go away and it hurts when I try to start walking. What should I do?
Hi!It sounds like you may have sciatica--a pinched sciatic nerve, which is common in pregnancy  Your doctor may be able to refer you to physical therapy for some exercises. Often this condiion resolves spontaneously.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
Stretch by sitting down and leaning forward slowly. You can take regular strength tylenol and use a heating pad for twenty minutes every hour. If it gets too bad though, go see a doc. I thought what I was feeling was normal pain but it turned out that at 15 weeks I had sprained my back. I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks for those helpful answers I will be seeing my doctor this week
I have a bad hip and I lay on an ice pack the end of the day and it helps a lot
I am 25 weeks and have suffered with sciatica all the way through. I opted away from physio as its caused by the positioning of baby. So regardless if baby is laying on a nerve your gonna suffer. I found hot compresses worked wondrrs